Volcan Pacaya


Advertisement
Published: April 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monday was the best day of the holiday so far.

We got to climb an active Volcano, and it would not be possible to get any closer to the lava.

I'll let the pictures do the talking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Sticks for saleSticks for sale
Sticks for sale

As soon as you get off the bus, Guatemalan kids surround you trying to sell you sticks for 5 Quetzales (70c) each. Little did we know these would be invaluable later on.
The climbThe climb
The climb

The climb up the volcano was about 1hr15mins. This is at the last part, which is pretty steep.
Onto the lava flowOnto the lava flow
Onto the lava flow

This is the point where we leave solid ground, and step onto the cooled lava flow.
Stepping over hot holes.Stepping over hot holes.
Stepping over hot holes.

We would have to work our way over the cooled lava, avoiding holes that had hot lava in them!
Lava!Lava!
Lava!

Here we are with hot, flowing lava behind us!
Lava toasted marshmallows.Lava toasted marshmallows.
Lava toasted marshmallows.

Martin, our group leader brought some marshmallows to toast over lava.
Yummmm.Yummmm.
Yummmm.

Son, Martin and myself enjoying some volcano toasted marshmallows.
The Highlight!The Highlight!
The Highlight!

The highlight of the trip so far for me. This was a molten lava flow, that had made its own little bridge, I was able to get so close I could dip my walking stick in! That bridge could have collapsed at any moment, giving me toasted feet!
Lava close upLava close up
Lava close up

Close up of the flowing lava. If you ever have the opportunity to come to Guatemala, you MUST come to Volcan Pacaya, it is the experience of a lifetime.


2nd April 2008

Volcan Pacaya
Gee, what in interesting blog. Glad to here you are having an amazing time! Those photos look awesome, I can't wait to see more of them when you get home! Be Safe, Mel xo
3rd April 2008

Sonia you look so happy!
Holidaying really suits you Sonia. I've never seen you so happy! Just stay over there, don't bother coming back here, we will all come and vist you.
4th April 2008

red hot jalapeno (lava)
That lava looks awsome, shontaya and kiara would like toasted marshmallows though we are doing ours on the bbq, though your idea rocks! we'll see ya soon with our bag of mallows.
19th April 2008

Thanks Mel
Some of these places would make a great Honeymoon destination!

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb