Veracruz & El tajin


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Veracruz » Veracruz
July 23rd 2011
Published: July 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After leaving the hot mugginess of the home of Salma hayek, i headed to Veracruz.... place that felt more hot and humid. Set on a harbour the city is full of navy ships and oil rigs... oh and an aquarium with manatees!! (which took up most of my 1st day in Veracruz).
On the second day i decided it would be a good idea to walk into town from where i was staying, it became apparent half way through the walk that 'no it wasn't actually a good idea to walk into town'
Mixed with the heat and humidity, my marathon walking pace made me sweat like i have never sweat before. Wearing a grey shirt didn't help, soon sweat patches started showing through... even in places i didn't know it was possibly to sweat. At first it looked like i was lactating.. not fun.
Then it appeared by my stomach... these sweat patches mixed with the picture of a music note.. looked like a smiley face on my shirt.. After an unsucessful shop for a new shirt, i took a ride on an open top bus to see an old fortress ' San juan de ulua' (the bus ride cleared up the smiley face thankfully). It was a really amazing place, with alot of history.
After a well cultured few days in Veracruz visiting forts, and museums, i headed to Poza rica, in search of El tajin ruins. El Tajín is a pre-Columbian archeological site and was the site of one of the largest and most important cities of the Classic era of Mesoamerica (thanks wiki).
Situated in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by green scenery the ruins didn't disappoint. They were beautiful.
After a night partying with the locals and my new friends, i headed back to Mexico city, to catch a breather and the next bus to my next adventure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb