Road tripping...


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Tulum
March 13th 2013
Published: April 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Chichen itza

About to go into a Mayan Skies show. Arrived at Chichen Itza at about 3pm after leaving Merida at 730. After a bit of confusion with the rental car (no registration plates, but apparently it's okay) made our way to Uxmal. The ruins there were pretty spectacular. Still amazed every time we go to those ruins at what they were able to achieve. Spent a bit of time just sitting at the top of the pyramid looking out at the "town".
Then we made our way back towards Merida and then East towards Cancun. Passed a truck with 2 massive boulders on it, making the ruins even more spectacular.

Roads weren't as bad as we thought.

Arrived at Chichen Itza. Ruins are right outside our front door. 100m away.

Maya Skies show was amazing. Would be better on drugs! It was a huge screen which was like a dome on the roof. Sort of felt like you were on a roller coaster.
Show described how the Mayans created their calendar, build their temples all in relation to the sun, and how this effected their planting and harvesting of crops. Very interesting!

Chichen Itza ruins were good. Got their early before all the bus tours arrived so got some good images with no people in them.

Currently I am lying in a hammock on the patio of our beach front cabana in Tulum. Just had breakfast and about to head to the Tulum ruins. They are about 30 mins walking distance up the beach. But we are driving as coming back via the super market. Ice, bucket, beer and lime are on our list. Guess what our afternoon is involving.

This afternoon might head down to the lagoon which has an animal reserve (guessing sort of like Orana Park?? But with flamingoes and jaguars).


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb