Time Rolling Gently Like the Waves


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Playa del Carmen
February 3rd 2015
Published: February 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

'Time is precious, waste it wisely". ~

Well we are making good use of our time by wasting it!

All is fine here. I'm recovering from my zip line adventure just fine, better than expected. In fact Sat. night I was surprised at how spry I felt given the injury. The beneficial healing effects of ice. Sunday morning though both my back and left leg were sore too. You know it's kinda weird, I feel as if I hit a tree!? Oh yeah right, I DID hit a tree. Stupid zip lining idea...

All in all I'm fine, the bruising is minimal, and I've been getting around Playa like I normally do. Mom has still been dealing with the aches and pain of a flu. I try to fuss over her but she keeps claiming "this too shall pass". Oh poor mom.

She's not down for the count at all either, just hasn't been feeling like doing a jig. But most days she's been out on her scooter including yesterday for breakfast. Otherwise she's content to sit on the balcony and read or enjoy her iPad.

Al's been continuing his dive fest, seeing so much, loving life under the sea. He's seen some beautiful big sea turtles, and a huge lobster that he captured on his GoPro underwater video camera.

Each day gets warmer and warmer here, which we're grateful for, given the early part of our trip was cool. Yesterday as soon as we woke we felt the glorious humidity.

With Al diving, it was a perfect morning to go for breakfast at a little family run spot near us. I love our condo, how we can stock it with our favorite food/drink items and when the urge hits to be able to enjoy a snack on the balcony without having to go out. I also love the idea of being surrounded by every imaginable kind of food at our fingertips if an urge hits to eat out. You can control your costs very well if one chooses to go on an independent holiday free of a big noisy resort.

As for this little cafe we went to for breakfast, I will say love is in the details here and especially in the cooking. Mom enjoyed a fruit platter with yogurt and granola. I've never seen such a beautiful and plentiful plate of food in my life! Included in our breakfast was freshly squeezed orange juice (free refills), and the girls had homemade crepes with Nutella and banana and they were delicious. I had a petit dejeuner which included toast with jam, a croissant, fruit and a really good coffee. The orange juice - what's not to crow about with freshly squeezed OJ? And all so very reasonably priced too. Another nice little find for us.

We spent some of the past days doing a little bit of everything. Shopping, touring around, beach walking and lounging, checking out some spots for lunch/dinner and a few have partaken in one of those "aye carumba" massages. Of course Playa was alive for Superbowl Sunday which is HUGE here. A few of our neighbors partied till the cows came home (and any other barnyard animal that comes home late).

I've had some work to do (can't be all fun and games all the time). There's a couple new boutique resorts I have wanted to check out and perhaps get their business on board. And also taking lots of pictures of things to blog about in the future for the company. It's not easy trying to always keep up the blogs with subject matter that interests our clients but I'm dancing as fast as I can to keep the blog alive and well. There's always so many changes going on in Playa. We were just talking to the owner Artura about when they purchased their restaurant Titi Panini about 4 years ago they were competing with around 300 restaurants, now there's anywhere from 700-800 restaurants in Playa. That's a lot of competition and there's many of us fans who'd like to see Titi Panini stay put.

And a new and big change here is as of February 1st the state of Quintana Roo (which includes the Riviera Maya) has changed to Eastern Standard Time. So we have had to move our clocks up one hour. This will result in economic benefits, such as tourists will enjoy extra beach time, consume more at restaurants and bars, and spend longer time in eco & water parks and on excursion tours. And putting the state in the same time zone as some of its biggest feeding markets (NYC, Miami, & Atlanta) would improve airline connectivity.

Speaking of Titi Panini, Al and I enjoyed a beautiful salmon dish prepared by Maria (the owner) and we were having issues connecting (always try to check in via email with the ones at the condo). Anyhow, we meet this lovely lady Dolly from Ohio. She's in Playa for 4 months. Her son owns the Yoga Loft here, and sadly Dolly's husband passed away 3 years ago. So we start chatting, next thing there's this guy having a beer who pipes up he's from Ottawa too. He's staying in a condo next door to the restaurant. And he too lost his partner last year. OMG. Al and I looked at each other thinking, what the hell would it take to ever come back to "our" spot without each other? How very sad and strange that would be. but so nice to see people re-create themselves and their life. Anyhow we made a nice connection and are going to meet Dolly for a glass of wine on jazz night at the Indigo Club. The wonderful perk of travel - meeting new friends.

Other than that, its been a very laid back holiday with a few more days to go. Of course you never take off your "Mom hat while on vacation. I love being here, but I do realize just because you're on vacation doesn't mean you still don't have to parent. While the girls are pretty good to tend to themselves etc., there's still always sorting out day to day plans, who's doing what, who's where, did you put sunblock on? what do you want to eat, OR stop eating "that", pick up that wet towel, hang your bathing suit, who stole the sunblock, why are you shoes there - don't you know someone will break their neck tripping over them & who drank all the milk? I think it'safe to say the "MOM-ISMS" are alive and well in Playa. *Money doesn't grow on palm trees you know". *Go ask your dad". *I don't care who started it. Just stop it". "Why is there a wet towel on my chair? For god sakes hang that up".

Aw, well all in all they're really great kids. They've been respectful of our Luna neighbors, they don't yell and scream in the pool, they tread lightly on the floors so as to not annoy the guests in a condo below. Teaching kids to respect others in whatever the environment you're in is key. (Now if we could teach the adults to do that?)

It's a gorgeous sunny morning here. We've got some light Cuban music playing to get the blood flowing, and we're thinking of a day trip to another beach. Something nice and quiet where you can hear yourself think. Or rather not think at all, which is my cup of tea or java or tequila (aha, now that's more my cup of tea) hahahaha.

PS some pics of our last few days.

Sal and "The Pips"


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



4th February 2015
Wow talk about a round of drinks

Indeed talk about a round of drinks!
Sally , Al, Lara, Rory, Ava, Mom, and Martha (family!) : You sure know how to live life to its fullest. Please feel welcome to have one on me too. These drinks look really yummy :-) xoxo
4th February 2015
Funny bar sign

How many blogs are there so far? I say 4-6?
Hi Sal, You are a super blogger and I do not want to miss on any of them. The Zip lining look like fun.! Wow I'd do that in a hear beat as long as there is water under me to land on :-) BTW..We can't see your replies to comments made at our end. I hope the website is not deceiving your viewers of your smart and witty answers. :-)..I counted 4 blogs.
9th February 2015
Funny bar sign

Time Rolling Gently
Zully there are 8 blogs, I hope you got them all. Geez thanks for the nice comments on my blogs. Glad to know you enjoyed them in snowy Ottawa :)

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.1071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb