Dec 21, 2012 in Cozumel


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cozumel
December 22nd 2012
Published: December 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

There was a lot of talk about the end of the world and you might think we are crazy actually being in the place were that was all predicted, but the only notable event of nature on this day here is wind. Windier than we have seen so far. Ian had planned to go scuba diving in the morning, but it was so rough on the ocean that the harbour is closed except for large cruise ships.

A sailboat breaks off it's mooring across the street and lands on the rocks along the beach. This reminds Ian of his work, since he is often called out on similar jobs like this back at home, just before we left, he and John had conducted a very similar rescue on the East shores of Kootenay Lake for a similar size sailboat. We are glad to be on vacation and that this is someone else's problem to deal with. We are surprized to see the boat is was gone by time we get back from our walk, as in our part of the world, we would have left it until the weather calms down. They do things differently here and dealing in warm water as opposed to freezing cold water makes a difference as well.

There are a couple of car accidents on the main road here today, we heard that one rental car brakes failed and a lady slammed into a taxi. We aren't sure of the other. We see a couple of ambulences, lights flashing sirens blaring, we hope everyone is ok. The traffic is backed up so far that walking is faster than driving.

The wind made for a much cooler and less humid day, so we take advantage and go for a very long walk, around 5 miles which takes us 4 hours. Downtown is more packed with tourists than we have ever seen. This is because there are many cruise ships in port for the day and with all the wind, there wouldn't be much else to do other than shop. We try to walk along the main road, but the sidewalks are so packed with people that we give up and head down some new side and back streets. We find a new street we really like, the sidewalks are in pretty good condition, new stores and restaurants to see, as usual, we don't know it's name, it's five or six blocks off the main road.

We stop for lunch again at La Lobsteria, it is very good and again we are the only lunch time customers. We meet Omar, the owner, who gives us wonderful service and even a free shot of tequila for Ian. We both have lobster pasta. We can't see how we can beat $12 for a lobster tail served with pasta, vegetables, garlic toast, chips & fresh salsa.

We visit some new friends from Dallas in their condo down the street, which is absolutely beautiful. Ian falls in love with the place - georgeous pool, gym, yard, play ground, tennis and basketball court, like living in a resort! As we were chatting, she mentions a blog someone was writing here and we soon come to realize that it's my blog she is referring to and she has even left a comment - what a small world after all!! We have been surprized at comments we get on this blog, most from friends and family, but sometimes we hear from people we have never met.

There is no sunset today with all the clouds, so we head back home for some barbeque chicken and potato salad.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb