Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Blogs from Cozumel
Latest Blogs from Cozumel
- November 21st 2013 Mexico 2
by Words: 655 Photos: 70
- November 14th 2013 Back in Action!
by Words: 355 Photos: 4
- October 14th 2013 Don't taco bout Cozumel!
by Words: 719 Photos: 7
- February 1st 2013 63 Days in Cozumel - The Best Vacation of our Lives!
by Words: 508 Photos: 9
- January 31st 2013 The Six Pack
by Words: 349 Photos: 6
- January 30th 2013 Time's Going Way Too Fast!
by Words: 523 Photos: 3
- January 29th 2013 Johnny Around Town
by Words: 373 Photos: 9
- January 28th 2013 Are You Really Gonna Eat That?
by Words: 541 Photos: 8
- January 27th 2013 What More Could We Ask For?
by Words: 443 Photos: 6
- January 26th 2013 Johnny's First Day in Cozumel
by Words: 386 Photos: 5
- January 26th 2013 Once Upon a Time in Mexico….
by Words: 445 Photos: 14
- January 25th 2013 Guy Stuff
by Words: 186 Photos: 5
- January 24th 2013 Eating Like Kings!
by Words: 350 Photos: 3
- January 23rd 2013 Tuesday Around Town
by Words: 348 Photos: 5
- January 22nd 2013 Bored with Paradise? Heck No!
by Words: 453 Photos: 8
- January 21st 2013 Golfing with the Gators in Cozumel
by Words: 570 Photos: 5
- January 20th 2013 San Gervasia, Ancient Mayan Ruins
by Words: 480 Photos: 12
- January 19th 2013 A View From The Top
by Words: 361 Photos: 5
- January 18th 2013 Movie Day in Cozumel
by Words: 611 Photos: 2
- January 17th 2013 Living like locals
by Words: 576 Photos: 4