Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cancun
March 1st 2015
Published: March 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

After breakfast we went to the rooftop to read. A short, quick, hard rain. Very pleasant to hear the patter on the cover of the rooftop. The Yak Hostel was very clean, the maids always washing the floors. After the rain, we headed to the bus depot to get our tickets to Cancun. Buses left every 20 minutes, so we just got them when we arrived. Tickets less than $5 each, one hour ride.

We had reservations for our last three days in Cancun at the Bed and Breakfast Garden Hostel. We had a good walk and got to the general area by Mercado 28, actually about a block away. We then asked three different people where the hostel street was and were sent in three different directions. Bob checked his map and felt we were close. Turns out we were on the right street, and someone pointed us down the street to the hostel. The hostel guy told us that if a local doesn't know where something is, he won't admit it, and just gives you directions even if wrong.

The hostel turned out to be a lovely spot with huge tropical plants. Our room was up a small spiral staircase, with our own private tiled balcony, good sized room, Internet, breakfast included. Very pleasant and peaceful. We headed to Parque Palapa for lunch, same place we discovered our first day in Mexico. A Chipotle-sized burrito and a Cuban sandwich with two big fruit drinks, less than $6. Lively local entertainment was going on onstage, music, colorful dancers, singer and guitar player. Again, the little kids were driving around in the small toy cars. Very cute.

Later in the evening we took off for another walk, headed toward the market, Mercado 28. This market is one huge square block. Contained both eating areas and craft places. The number of displays was overwhelming! Everyone called you over to look at a menu or check out their store. On the way back we stopped at a little grocery store to pick up a few items for dinner.

Bob looked online to see what to do while in Cancun. The first two items were Parque Palapa and Mercado 28, exactly what we had done today. He is such a good tour guide! Pedometer said 5 miles at day's end.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb