Xel-Han and Tulum


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cancun
December 10th 2010
Published: December 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

An early beginning to the day again, picked up from the hotel lobby at 7 AM then off to Xel-Ha for the morning and Tulum in the afternoon. The bus arrived at Xel-Ha at around 10:30 and we were left on our own to wonder about the site. The ocean water was so blue, like I have never see before, and crystal clear. Many different and colourful fish were swimming about. I met 2 American women and we walked along the paths taking in the many features of Xel-Ha. The Mayn caves which we partially under water, the cenotes along the side of the paths which dropped into the caves and water below. We went to the top of the river and pickup up tubes to go tubing down to the ocean, it began in a very heavily treed area and if felt like you were floating and spinning as you went along in a cave, when actually you were surrounded by tree branches. After a bit we came out into the brilliant sunlight and bobbed along for a bit before heading for land and leaving the tubes. We walked along further and then went back into the lagoon to snorkel with the fish. It felt like being in the video game Endless Ocean as there were many different types of fish all swimming around me, as curious about me as I was about them. At one of the docks there were 2 very large manatee which were being fed lettuce and seeming to enjoy it, they could not have cared less about the people swimming around them, food was a real distraction. After the swim we showered off the salt and headed to lunch which was included in the day, and then back onto the bus heading for Tulum.
Another amazing Mayan archeological find. Tulum is on the ocean and different from Chichen Itza as it was more of a religious site. Much smaller in size, but no less significant. The vendors at Tulum were not allowed onto the site so it made for a much nicer tour and made the place seem all that more sacred We stayed at Tulum until the sun went down and then headed back to Cancun and our hotels. Another long and amazing day.
A quick dinner at the hotel and then off to my bed as I have had two very long days in a row and I am back to the dentist in the morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb