Cancun, we made it!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cancun
July 9th 2008
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi again!

Firstly I´d like to report that we are both feeling much better. Once we had antibiotics they started working really fast, whew!

We caught a 6 hour overnight bus from Campeche to Cancun last night and arrived bleary eyed and half asleep at 5.30am. We have a massive and comfortable hotel room with 3 beds and an enormous shower. Tomorrow we catch our flight to Havana and will be in Cuba for 2 weeks so I imagine we won´t have much opportunity to access the internet then.

The drive from Mexico City to Campeche was amazing. We slept through the night only to wake up to a completely different landscape - tropical plants like coconut trees, palms, banana trees and mangroves everywhere. Also lots of water, both inland and on white sand beaches. What a great change! Lots of pesky little mozzies though. I gave my malaria meds to a Belgian guy in Campeche as I can´t take them anyway and we are avoiding those areas.

Campeche itself is another nice, laid back town with lovely old buildings. The only thing is that like so many towns, the activity centers around the old town square, which is really cool, but we felt that so much more could be made of the beautiful waterfront. Instead there is a 3 lane highway and a totally random collection of businesses, and no shade or seats to be found.
We did discover another drink to never buy again though - what we thought was just fruit juice had clam juice in it. What the?! Then a girl from Canada told us that they drink it there too, for the omega 3 oils. Still, Rob didn´t like it much and it wouldn´t have been too good for me to inadvertantly drink shellfish right now.

Cancun is yet to be discovered as we had a big sleep on arrival and are just waiting for the heat to die down a bit. At least there is a lot of breeze. We think it´s a cross between Surfer´s Paradise and La Paz but we´ll find out...

Bye for now, in case we can´t email from Cuba!
Will leave you with another backlog of photos.
Love, XX Krista and Rob.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

TeotihuacanTeotihuacan
Teotihuacan

The temple of the sun can be seen in the background, with the temple of the moon further away, to the left


10th July 2008

Well done guys for getting thru your ordeals. Phew, Krista! What drama with bubs and all! Amazing aztec architecture. Glad that you got to see Frida Kahlo's house.
13th July 2008

cosmic moon
hola bambina. good to see you're both well again. can't wait to see you too. fingers crossed for the minimum number of american college kids at cancun. at least it's not spring break! have fun in cuba xxx
14th July 2008

Have just spent the last hour catching up on your travels. Sounds like your having some interesting adventures. Glad your feeling better and bubs is okay...

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb