Moving to Queretaro Part 10 - A week in Cancun, Quintana Roo


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cancun
May 12th 2007
Published: May 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Week of May 12-17
My classes ended this week. I turned in my grades and we all decided to do the tourist thing. We went to Cancun. It is a long trip from Queretaro to Cancun, Quintana Roo. So we took the luxury bus from Queretaro to the Toluca Airport (just west of Mexico City) and flew on Interjet Airline to Cancun. We stayed at The Moon Palace Resort and had a great time. Nothing to do but drink, eat, lay in the sun, and go to the shows at night. All-in-all a very relaxing week!

A few interesting things to report:

THE HYPNOSIS SHOW!!

On Wednesday night we went to a hypnosis show. We had actually attended the same show on Sunday night and enjoyed it so much that we returned later in the week. On the first night, both Teresa and I volunteered to be one of the 15 people he tried to put under hypnosis. Neither of us took. Yet on that night 6 of the 15 did take and the show was very funny. Before the second show, all day long Haley was begging us to let her volunteer for the show. But the hypnotist had a rule of 16 years of age or over, so we said no. At the start of the show, he had 15 volunteers real quick like. Consequently, several people that wanted to volunteer were not selected. He explained that the hypnosis can work just as well from your seat if you just follow his directions. Well, Haley was very determined. For about 30 minutes he takes you through the steps of relaxing and gradually he puts you to sleep. We were outside (it was a little noisy) and he only had 4 people take. I was watching as he determined who had taken and who had not. All of a sudden Teresa taps me on the shoulder and points at Haley. I am not kidding when I say she was out like the lights. I sat down beside her and said, “Haley, it’s Dad can you hear me?” Nothing. The couple next to us is laughing their butts off and yell at the hypnotist that he had a hypnotized person in the audience. He comes out and puts his hand on Haley’s shoulder and says, “To the person I am touching and only that person, when I count to 3 you will wake up. 1 -2- 3”. Haley opens her eyes. He says, “Hello young lady, would you like to join me on the stage?” Without looking back or without any hesitation, Haley shakes her head yes and the two of them go to the stage. What happened for the next hour was almost beyond belief. I will focus my comments on Haley alone although there were many other things occurring. Each time he does the same thing; he puts them to sleeps, makes the suggestion, and then awakes them.

The Odor
The first, odors. He tells them, “When you awake you will smell something really good and gradually you will realize that the smell is coming from the neck of the person next to you”. Haley gets this really nice look on her face and slowly starts turning her head towards the person next to her. In the end her nose was about 6 inches from his neck. Then he says the odor becomes bad - really bad. Haley is weird about odors anyways. So this about makes me fall out of my chair laughing. Teresa is crying so hard she is laughing so hard and it’s hard to imagine this is our “little” girl up there on a stage in front of 200 people, She wrinkles her nose and gets this awful look on her face. She looks thoroughly disgusted. It never changes until he says the odor is gone.

Raining $100 Bills
He wakes them. Haley tries to act like nothing is happening but just grabs a few from the air and shoves them in her pocket. These are invisible dollar bills, only the hypnotized can see them. Then she makes a little pile in front of her on the floor, folds them, and quietly puts them in her pocket.

The Movie
To all the girls “you are at the funniest movie you have ever seen. All the boys, you are at the saddest movie you have ever seen.” Haley is laughing as hard as I have ever seen her laugh. I am talking the belly laugh that would be impossible to fake. The guy next to her is crying. They bring him a tissue and ask him what is the matter. He says, “Oh……I hate “Beaches” (obviously he is watching the movie “Beaches). The other girl can’t stop laughing when they ask her but she does get the words “Dumb and Dumber” out which is a very funny comedy movie.

You Can’t See Me
Then he tells Haley and only Haley when I wake you, you will not be able to see me. He then talks to her. Haley’s head is turning in every direction looking for where the voice is coming from. Rather then ask where are you? She says “who are you?’ He waves his hands in front of her face and she shows no reaction at all. Then he asks for some one to bring a child up to the stage. He picks up the child and then reminds us that Haley cannot see him. He starts flying the girl all around in the air. Haley freaks. She gets out of her seat and moves as far from the girl as she can and makes this really weird face. He flies the girl towards Haley and she starts going behind the chairs to get away from the girl. He then puts the girl down and asks Haley “what is wrong?” Haley says only “……………..she’s flying!…………”

Coca-Cola
He plants a command with each person. For Haley it was, “When you hear Coca-Cola, you find the closest adult man. You will kiss him on the forehead and say “I love ya man.” He puts her in the audience and then says “Coca-cola” Haley jumps from her chair goes to this bald guy sitting just down from her and kisses him on the forehead and says “I love ya man.” He did it twice and she went to the same guy both times. Later I asked Haley about kissing the guy and she said, “Dad, he was all sweaty.” I said but you kissed him twice. She paused for about 10 seconds and then said, “But he was the closest man to me.”

If you have never been to a hypnosis show, I recommend you go sometime.

One thing we did outside of the resort that was fun was to take a Jungle Tour. You are given these little speedboats to drive - two people to a boat - and a leader boat takes you through a big maze of channels that are mostly just green areas, I certainly wouldn’t call it a “jungle”. I don’t know if this is right or not but a man told us that it is because of the hurricane a few years ago. He said it wiped the jungle out. Anyway, after you leave that area you are in the open ocean for quite a long ride at full throttle bouncing (Madison did not like the bouncing part) over some pretty big waves. When you reach your destination you tie up together and snorkel for about 45 minutes. The snorkeling was good as it was only a depth of about 9 - 12 feet and it was over a coral reef. We saw several varieties of pretty fish, sea fans, and coral. They issued new snorkels (that you can keep) and fins. Masks get passed out at the site. All in all a fun way to get out on the ocean, we really enjoyed it.

Early in our week we celebrated Madion’s 11th birthday. She was woken in the morning by room service knocking on the door with a big specially decorated cake. We also had many balloons and a banner in the room. After that it was to the beach where she had said for weeks that she wanted to open her presents. She got her much coveted Ipod. She had a special swing on the beach that she wanted to sit on to open her gifts which was actually a seat at the beach bar. Then for lunch she decided it would be fun to “lunch” with only her sister at one of the nice restaurants. They were so cute and looked so grown up as they went on their way. Later for dinner, I had arranged previously to have a cake delivered to our table. It turned out to be cheesecake, her favorite. A group of Mexican waiters came and sang the traditional Mexican birthday song to her. A much more melodious song than the standard U.S. birthday song I might add! She was smiling from ear to ear and I think she had a special day.

Journey Home
On Saturday the 19th we started our journey back to Queretaro. Before I tell you about our return trip, I want to first indicate that we really liked Interjet. The plane was new, the seats were all leather and they served lunch and drinks (include beer, wine, & cocktails) at no cost. The stewardesses all understood a little English. That having been said, the plane left Cancun 50
Wet & Wild - CancunWet & Wild - CancunWet & Wild - Cancun

Madison kissing a seal.
minutes late. We only had 1 hour and half to get to our bus from the scheduled landing time. It is a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport to the bus station. When the wheels touched the ground, we had only 30 minutes. It took 25 minutes to get our luggage. All hope was lost, oh well flush $40 dollars in bus tickets down the toilet - never should have bought them ahead of time. We arrived at the bus station and the next scheduled bus departure on ETN (luxury bus) was 2 ½ hours away. Add the 3 hour travel time and we get home at midnight! Nope. So we bought tickets on a second class bus. We had to race to make the departure. Off we went. They try to start the movie, but the video player does not work. We drive for about 15 minutes. Then the driver stopped the bus, retrieved some tools, and walked to the rear wheel. He worked on it for about 5 minutes and got back into the bus and started driving. By now it is raining and we are about to enter the winding mountainous drive. He drives about 10
Moon PalaceMoon PalaceMoon Palace

I'm taking three beautiful women to dinner.
more minutes and again repeats the procedure. Ok, the road is slippery, we are on a completely windy mountainous road and the brakes or wheel is acting up. All right, I’m just going to close my eyes and pretend this is not happening. Then just as I start to relax, the bus stops. There is a really bad accident. It looks like a car crossed the center line and flipped into the ditch. People are running everywhere and the accident just happened. The bus driver is able to clear the chaos and continue. He drives for just a couple of minutes and rounds a bend to accident number 2. This time a police office and ambulance are already on the scene. He stops the bus and tells the police officer about the other accident. We continue. Haley, Madison and Teresa have slept through both accidents. I try to relax, not a chance. An hour later we are through the mountains and I can now relax. I start dosing and suddenly we are pulling into Queretaro. We take a taxi to the house and we are home at 10:30 p.m.

A nice week, but I am glad to return to
Moon PalaceMoon PalaceMoon Palace

Madison's Birthday dinner!
the real Mexico!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Moon PalaceMoon Palace
Moon Palace

Singing Happy Birthday to Madison.
Moon PalaceMoon Palace
Moon Palace

Water slide!
Moon PalaceMoon Palace
Moon Palace

Water slide!
Moon PalaceMoon Palace
Moon Palace

The Beach
Moon PalaceMoon Palace
Moon Palace

Is that my wife?


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb