Queretaro


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Querétaro
June 26th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Los Arcos - AcueductoLos Arcos - AcueductoLos Arcos - Acueducto

It is formed by 74 sandstone arches that stretch for 1,280 meters / 6 miles and reach a maximum height of 23 meters / 75 feet.
On next stop was to Queretaro, which is approx. 1 hour from San Miguel de Allende. We decided to stay just one night in Queretaro, which was perfect timing because the night we stayed Mexico was playing. As you can see from one of the photos, it is a popular night to go out!

The historic center of Queretaro is fairly compact, with andadores (pedestrian streets), linking a number of lively plazas, but in my opinion the main attraction it's acueducto/aqueduct outside of the center of the city. The acueducto, with 74 towering arches was built between 1726 and 1735 and still brings water to the center of the city from 12 km away.

After walking around for part of the day, I realized one day and night is plenty in Queretaro. I enjoyed Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende much more. I think the reason is because Queretaro is just a larger city than the other two we just visited, even though it has a pleasant historic. Carlos has been here before so to him one day was fine as well.

We enjoyed a good lunch, because it was cheap, in Queretaro, which was a preset menu for $45 pesos, which is less than $4, depending on the exchange rate. We started out with soup, followed by a salad then a large plate of tacos with beans followed by flan, which neither one of us eat...it was more like a water pudding.

We did have a great dinner which was a large molcajete filled with chicken, vegetables, cheese, etc. followed by no...not Victorias because they didn't serve Victorias...so we went with the next best beer, in our opinion, Sol.
It was a good night and turned out even better because Mexico won.

The bus trips in Mexico have been great so far. We pay a bit more for the nicer buses, such as ETN, but for the extra security and luxury, it is worth it. These buses are direct as well. It gets really annoying when the bus stops for everyone on the side of the road. It is approx. $5 dollars per hour per bus ticket. We are off to Mexico City again for a few days. I don't mind the repeat visits because it is the biggest city in the world and there is so much to do and see. Then this weekend we will travel back to Chilpancingo to celebrate Carlos' mom's birthday!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 16; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb