Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Photos from Puebla City
Blogs from Puebla City
Latest Blogs from Puebla City
- January 11th 2013 San Miguel de Allende, Puebla and Acapulco
by Words: 853 Photos: 8
- November 21st 2012 Puebla, Veracruz... and back to Mexico City!
by Words: 2051 Photos: 10
- July 26th 2012 puebla meg mindig...
by Words: 177 Photos: 0
- July 25th 2012 puebla
by Words: 228 Photos: 0
- December 18th 2011 Deep-Fried Grasshoppers
by Words: 1723 Photos: 23
- October 4th 2011 Back in Mexico city.
by Words: 599 Photos: 29
- July 14th 2011 Mexico - Puebla
by Words: 893 Photos: 0
- June 18th 2011 Cholula y Puebla
by Words: 212 Photos: 4
- March 29th 2011 Unser zweiter Fünftausender - die Iztaccihuatl (5.230 m)
by Words: 876 Photos: 37
- January 22nd 2011 More bus adventures and Puebla
by Words: 1506 Photos: 8
- January 18th 2011 Puebla
by Words: 67 Photos: 2
- October 25th 2010 Puebla
by Words: 976 Photos: 11
- October 8th 2010 Puebla,
by Words: 159 Photos: 8
- October 2nd 2010 Its all about the spice!
by Words: 725 Photos: 7
- September 27th 2010 Hello again!
by Words: 601 Photos: 0
- August 21st 2010 Puebla, Mexico- 5th - 7th August 2010
by Words: 1099 Photos: 7
- August 11th 2010 Mexico
by Words: 2468 Photos: 10
- June 11th 2010 Life goes on...
by Words: 678 Photos: 9
- March 23rd 2010 A brief but triumphant blog...
by Words: 249 Photos: 4
- February 5th 2010 Leaving Mexico City
by Words: 881 Photos: 5