So Many Beaches, So Little Time Left....


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Puerto Escondido
March 27th 2012
Published: March 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are nearing the end of this trip...It will be good to be home, but we'll miss the sun, the people, the flowers, the fresh fruit, and the relaxation...We really like our hotel, but we are the only people over 25 here...It is a surprisingly quiet place...I think most of the guys are serious surfers who get up early and surf before breakfast... some of the youngsters do talk to us...we've gotten to know two young men from the Outer Banks(N. C.) who do restaurant work during the high season there and come here to surf in the low season...

There are twenty-somethings and retirees here in town...no-one in between...More Israeli surfers than expected, lots of young Aussies, many older Canadians, quite a few Europeans of all ages, and a smattering of Americans. Men seem to outnumber women by a fair margin, in the younger group.

On Sunday, we spent the day with an Australian woman who has property for sale east of here on the coast. We visited her house, met her lovely dog Susie, had lunch by a wide river that was only inches deep, and got lots of info on the area.

On Monday, we took a public bus about 45 minutes east (south) of here, to a beach that Cheena recommended. It is called Aqua Blanca, and was just beautiful. Almost no one there; some local fishermen, a few Mexican tourists, and the usual seafood shacks on the beach...You could swim in the pools behind the rocks, until the tide came in, and then it was a bit rough. We had to walk about a half mile in from the main road. On the way back to the main highway, we were offered a ride in the back of a pickup by a young Mexican family...which was great since there was no shade on the sand road we were walking...

On Tuesday, we went to a nearby swimming beach, in a small cove. We had heard that it can be crowded, but it wasn't and we had a delightful day there. On all these beaches, you sit on padded chaises under cover from the sun, but right next to the water, and order as little or much as you want from the attached restaurant. No one ever pressures you to purchase anything!

Wednesday we dealt witn bank problems, bought our bus tickets and spent the rest of the day at Playa Manzanilla....Thursday is our last day here....to Oaxaca and then fly home on Saturday morning...


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Our hotelOur hotel
Our hotel

We're on the middle floor, pool side
The house Cheena (Australian woman) had built and is sellingThe house Cheena (Australian woman) had built and is selling
The house Cheena (Australian woman) had built and is selling

She wants to be nearer to her grandkids in Oz...She wants $110,000 for it.
Cheena and her dog SusieCheena and her dog Susie
Cheena and her dog Susie

Susie decided to follow us to town...and ended up chasing us down the highway when we left in a collectivo...Cheena hurried home to find her returned unscathed....
Shallow river at LaBarra from busShallow river at LaBarra from bus
Shallow river at LaBarra from bus

We ate just around the first bend on the right
Susie loves BillSusie loves Bill
Susie loves Bill

Susie comes with the house....
Blue fish in tidal poolBlue fish in tidal pool
Blue fish in tidal pool

Lots of small fish here....
Manzanillo BeachManzanillo Beach
Manzanillo Beach

Great swimming here!
Local family at the beachLocal family at the beach
Local family at the beach

Women tend to wear very modest clothing in the water....so it bothered me when an older Euro woman walked around this family beach topless...
Surfing Beach from afar...Surfing Beach from afar...
Surfing Beach from afar...

Our hotel is right about in the middle of the beach in this shot....
Swimming beach from other sideSwimming beach from other side
Swimming beach from other side

There were more shops and food places here...no gringos...calmer water...lots of kids...and a really good fish dinner!


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb