Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Photos from Puerto Escondido
Blogs from Puerto Escondido
Latest Blogs from Puerto Escondido
- March 4th 2014 Eat, Drink, Play in Puerto
by Words: 588 Photos: 19
- February 27th 2014 More of the Same in Puerto Escondido
by Words: 647 Photos: 20
- February 26th 2014 Playa Agua Blanca
by Words: 137 Photos: 15
- February 23rd 2014 Puerto's the Place
by Words: 399 Photos: 12
- February 22nd 2014 O' Canada (in Puerto)
by Words: 543 Photos: 20
- June 22nd 2013 Hurricane party and Mazunte.
by Words: 298 Photos: 10
- June 14th 2013 Hualtuco and fishin'
by Words: 312 Photos: 10
- June 5th 2013 Pochutla market, and an interesting lunchbox ride!
by Words: 487 Photos: 6
- May 29th 2013 It's NOT a hurricane!
by Words: 179 Photos: 6
- May 23rd 2013 Attitude adjustment!
by Words: 160 Photos: 8
- May 13th 2013 Settled in!
by Words: 168 Photos: 7
- May 8th 2013 Sunny weather and happier people!
by Words: 181 Photos: 0
- February 17th 2013 Peuto Escondido
by Words: 255 Photos: 5
- June 28th 2012 Days counting down!
by Words: 217 Photos: 3
- June 20th 2012 Survived Carlotta!
by Words: 552 Photos: 12
- June 15th 2012 Carlotta!
by Words: 105 Photos: 0
- June 12th 2012 Pochutla, San Angel, and Mazunte!
by Words: 244 Photos: 18
- June 6th 2012 Oaxaca with Donzetta - Politics
by Words: 62 Photos: 6
- June 5th 2012 Busy doing absolutely "nuttin"!
by Words: 236 Photos: 7
- May 29th 2012 Had Enough!
by Words: 373 Photos: 8