Krysia and Roscha in Oaxaca


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
May 9th 2008
Published: May 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Oaxaca on Thursday the 1st of May. Monia found the change from country to city life difficult. All she could see were people and flies everywhere and she hated the food which looked like a big cow´s poo. Kiki told her to stop being negative and to enjoy the moment. Monia obliged reluctantly.

The hostel was a bit weird and seemed to be in a constant state of repair. Nothing seemed to work. The staff seemed confused, had difficulties directing us to the Zocalo and did not seem able to find the hostel on the map provided.

When we were shown to our room (a dorm room) we were horrified to find that there was a strange looking man with long curly hair and a cowboy hat laying on one of the bunk beds. We were speechless and later tossed a coin about who would have to sleep above him. Monia lost. Luckily he actually turned out to be harmless and very nice. However, the next morning for some reason he checked out…

We wandered the city streets, checked out the market, Kiki bought a mexican blanket which she has always wanted, we went to Monte Alban which gave a touch of history to our stay… . So cultured, so cultured.

Manolito had kindly offered to take us to Mexico City on the Saturday. We planned to meet in Oaxaca around lunch time, but unfortunately we were not able to get in touch as we did not have his mobile number and it later turned out Manolito was texting the wrong Monika. Therefore, we took the bus to Mexico City instead… We found it a bit peculiar that security went around and filmed all the passengers on the bus prior to departure. Monia of course had to smile and wave to the camera. She turned to Kiki and said -who knows, this may be the last image that our friends and family will see of us.. Kiki just shook her head and sighed.

All in all, Oaxaca was nice and colourful but at the same time crowded with tourists and street vendors which all got a bit too much for us. In fairness, we did come during the May celebrations so didn´t get to see Oaxaca as it normally is.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Monte AlbanMonte Alban
Monte Alban

There was a really loud noise coming from the trees. Naturally we had to inspect and this is what we found.
Monte AlbanMonte Alban
Monte Alban

This tree reminds Monia of Anthony De Mello´s writings. The tree gives its shadow to everyone no matter who it is.
OaxacaOaxaca
Oaxaca

Breakfast at the hostel...


Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb