Night Of The Living Dead


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán » Morelia
November 6th 2008
Published: November 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

There were no grenade attacks in Morelia this time around, so that was good. For those of you who didn't know, during Mexico's Day of Independence celebration (night of September 15th) of this year, there was a grenade attack in Morelia that killed seven people and injured around 100 others. Yeah, fucked up. They captured some suspects, but who knows if that was really them.

Morelia is an ok city. It has a nice looking cathedral, an old aquaduct, and good looking architecture. When I arrived in Morelia I finally had internet access, so there were around twenty e-mails waiting for me. Friends that I made in Guanajuato and I were planning on going to Patzcuaro for Day of The Dead. We were having a hard time finding a place. I found out my friend Florian (Germany) was in Morelia as well, so I e-mailed him to meet for a beer and talk about Patzcuaro. On my way to meet Florian, I ran into Samantha (England) who I also met in Guanajuato. Small world. She too met us out for beers later. Anyway, turns out Florian met some guy in Morelia whose brother's in-laws had a cabin for rent. Cool! We were set.

Florian had this awesome idea of hitchhiking to Patzcuaro which is about an hour away from Morelia. I was a little hesitant because hey, we're in Mexico. He did it in Canada and the U.S. before coming to Mexico. Alright, fuck it....I agreed. The experience could be an adventure. We took a taxi to the highway exit that leads to Patzcuaro. Samantha decided to come as well. I think we should have dressed in rags. The Mexicans just kept staring at us...probably wondering why we're hitchhiking. The world economy must be really bad! We were out there for about an hour with no luck, so we decided to walk down the road and fork over $2.50 for the bus trip to Patzcuaro. I was a little disappointed no one gave us ride, but glad to be alive.

Patzcuaro was a cool little town. There weren't too many people hanging out in the downtown area. I read that the town would be super packed for Day of the Dead. Turns out that most of the people go to the islands where the cemeteries are at and party their ass off. We hit up Isla Janitzio (the most popular). We got there around midnight because we didn't want to deal with the crowd. There were still a lot of people there. We entered a cemetery. The decorations were beautiful! Flowers everywhere! Relatives of those who passed away were sleeping there on their graves. There were tons of tourists in the cemeteries both Mexican and foreigners. The people mourning had a sad look in their eyes. I felt we were invading their space, so I left the cemetery. It just didn't feel right. This was theirs, not for tourism. People basically just got fucked up on the island. The whole experience was interesting, but not what I expected.

The hosts where we rented the cabin were really cool people. We met Alex and Kitzia. Alex was Florian's friend's brother and Kitzia is his wife whose parents rented us the cabin. They were really cool people. Both Alex and Kitzia took us on a hike to Cerro Blanco which had great views of Patzcuaro. They both taught us about plants and insects that we came across as we hiked. Later that night Alex took us to a small pueblo where a local lady makes "pulque" (the stuff I tried in Mexico City). We met some interesting characters there that were also consuming the alcoholic beverage. It was a fun night.

Moving on to Taxco.

live and love,
alex


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

PlazaPlaza
Plaza

Plaza Chica in Patzcuaro.
The CabinThe Cabin
The Cabin

Half the world in a small cabin.....and some tents.
Isla JanitzioIsla Janitzio
Isla Janitzio

The island.
Isla JanitzioIsla Janitzio
Isla Janitzio

Me, Samantha and Florian on our way to the island for Day of the Dead.
PatzcuaroPatzcuaro
Patzcuaro

One of the churches in town.
PatzcuaroPatzcuaro
Patzcuaro

Cemetery in Patzcuaro on Dia de los Muertos.
PatzcuaroPatzcuaro
Patzcuaro

A woman paying her respects.
Cerro BlancoCerro Blanco
Cerro Blanco

Flower power.
HikingHiking
Hiking

Hiking the Cerro Blanco in Patzcuaro.
Cerro BlancoCerro Blanco
Cerro Blanco

Cool cricket or grasshopper....whatever.
Cerro BlancoCerro Blanco
Cerro Blanco

The one and only on the summit.
ButterflyButterfly
Butterfly

Hide n' seek.
A Night of Pulque  A Night of Pulque
A Night of Pulque

We traveled to a small town for some local pulque.
CampfireCampfire
Campfire

Some Swedish campfire music.


7th November 2008

Morelia
This is like reading letters from Uncle Traveling Matt (for those of you old enough to remember Fraggle Rock). I know you're having fun Alex, just keep livin Cabron! Keep blogging, and take more pics. I watched the movie The Ruins and immidiately thought of you. Quida te! And take a shower susio! j/k

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb