Swine Flu - still going!!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Guadalajara
May 9th 2009
Published: May 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yes we are still alive and well!

The number of Lattitude volunteers here in Mexico is now down from 8 to 4 since some went home last week. Lattitude are still keeping in touch with us really well to make sure we're healthy and give us the latest advice. So far they are still not advising us to go home but of course if we decide it would be better for us then they will support us on that. The other volunteers who have gone home were all working a lot closer to Mexico City where the risk was a lot higher.

We just found out today that there are now about 15 confirmed cases of swine flu here in Jalisco, almost all of which are in Guadalajara and that they have decided to keep schools here closed for yet another week!!! Alix and I have been into town twice this week and there's barely any sign at all that people are worried about it. We saw perhaps a dozen people each time wearing facemasks, shops and resaurants all seemed to be open etc. Maybe it was because we didnt know that there actually are cases here!!
On the plus side though Alix and I went to the CLEANEST cinema EVER yesterday - all of the staff had facemasks on and they even gave us alcohol soap before we went in!! It turned out that there were only us and about three other people watching the film so I'm sure the risk there wasnt too high!

I'm not sure if the closing of schools will mean another entire week without children to look after - the Mayora seems to think that some of the parents might not be able to handle them for much longer and bring some of them back tomorrow or Monday but we'll have to wait and see what happens. To be perfectly honest it's getting pretty boring being here with no kids to look after as there's really nothing else to do! Our plans for organising things for Mothers Day have been scuppered since Mothers Day is tomorrow and there have been no kids to teach! We're still planning on going to Guanajuato with some friends from the holidays next weekend for Alix's birthday but we'll keep an eye on the situation and see how it goes. Feel like I could have gone back to Scotland for a two week holiday and it wouldnt have made any difference! I realised how much more you start to miss home and people when you've got nothing to do so we're trying to keep ourselves busy with books, cleaning etc...see how much longer we can last!!!

Hope you are all well and swine flu free too!!
Love
Jen

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb