Swimming in the Pacific Again


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Zihuatanejo
February 16th 2008
Published: February 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived here on Friday afternoon, after a comfortable four and half hour bus ride arcoss mountains and valleys from Patzcuaro.

This is a different country from Patzcuaro and Morelia..very touristy and tourist driven. Everyone attempts to speak English to us, and to sell us something....but the beaches are beautiful and the seafood great....Hotels are more expensive: we are paying $92 a night here compared to $35 in Morelia and Patzcuaro...but we have an ocean view..and direct access to the beach.

Today, Saturday, I woke up early and decided to go for a run on the beach, since I was feeling better. There were many runners and walkers; a mix of Mexicans and gringos. Again here, there are many older people, and not many backpackers. After my run I waited til the sun came up far enough to hit the ocean, and went swimming. It was great to be back in the water again!

A giant cruise ship pulled as I was swimming...it just loomed over the bay! Bill and I ate breakfast and walked into town, amongst the many cruise passengers, to get money, since we had to pay our hotel bill in cash.

After I took another swim to cool off, we hiked up and over the hill to the south of our hotel to the next beach where we had lunch, and then hiked back.

We will stay here til Monday am and then take a bus to Acapulco (four hours) and then another ( five hours) to Taxco, a silver town south west of Mexico City.

I've added some phots from earlier in the trip since this is a fast computer!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Valentine's Day in PatzcuaroValentine's Day in Patzcuaro
Valentine's Day in Patzcuaro

As I said before, this is a big holiday here in Mexico. Some one had written I love you in Spanish on each of these balloons....
Morelia bus stationMorelia bus station
Morelia bus station

These are the first class buses. We are in Morelia for the second time, since we had to back track to catch the fast bus to Zihuatanejo.
Playa de RopasPlaya de Ropas
Playa de Ropas

This is the beach we hiked to for lunch. It got its name from a shipwreck where many articles of clothing washed ashore here.
The towels on our bed!The towels on our bed!
The towels on our bed!

These are real flowers..hibiscus...We hated to use the towels and ruin the display...
The street leading down to our hotelThe street leading down to our hotel
The street leading down to our hotel

The town itself has many semi-pedestrian streets. Erverything around the beaches is geared toward tourists. There is a nice paved walkway between the town beach and ours, where young couples go in the evening. The beaches are kept very clean, but we've read that water gets polluted in the summer.


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb