Snorkeling in Acapulco Bay . . .


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Acapulco
February 10th 2010
Published: February 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I have family onboard and we’re in port - an excellent combination! Today’s port was Acapulco. We don’t arrive in port until noon which considering I work so late at night, I love. I get to sleep in and still have a full port day. Uncle Allan, Aunt Renee and Kelsey watched the ship sail into Acapulco Bay and up to the pier while I still slept. But then we met up and headed out into the city.

We actually split up today for our day time tours. Uncle Allan and Aunt Renee did a walking and shopping tour of the city. Kelsey and I went snorkeling.

The two of us boarded a dive boat right at the end of the cruise pier. The snorkel tour, “Captain’s Choice” takes you to two of many different snorkel sites based on the best conditions that day. We sailed back out across Acapulco Bay and towards the sea. The sun was beating down (it was 90 degrees Fahrenheit today!) but with the breeze on the water it was gorgeous.

Near the mouth of the bay is an island called Isla Roqueta. We anchored alongside the island and snorkeled in two different spots there. The snorkeling was good. The water is just not as clear on this coast as it is in the Caribbean, but there’s still a lot to see. There’s interesting fish but not much coral, at least in this spot. One of the guides found a blowfish and showed it off to us. We could see a bunch of puffer fish swimming around at the bottom but none of them actually puffed out for us. There were a couple of trumpet fish which was cool; I hadn’t seen them before.

A couple of teens from my club were also on the tour. One of the boys swam around with me and Kelsey a lot, taking pictures and pointing out different things to us. It was fun.

Back on the boat, as we sailed back across the bay, the bar (well, the cooler) was open and Coronas were passed all around. Check out mine and Kelsey’s Corona advertisement photo.

We were dropped back at the pier and returned to the ship to shower and freshen up, then waited for Uncle Allan and Aunt Renee to get back from their tour. We still have more plans for Acapulco tonight . . .



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb