From bogota to mexico city


Advertisement
Published: November 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

DSCN0876DSCN0876DSCN0876

the main square, also known as the Zocalo
Its official... Bogota has now overtaken Manila in the city with the least photographs taken. the only ones were when I was in the air, and at the departure lounge! After leaving Salento we had to catch our flight from Bogota and of course.. you must visit the capital if you can! We had met lots of people who said it was rubbish.,.. and it kind of was. Very cold - about 11 daily and 4 overnight, i checked and glasgow was warmer while we were there! And not really much to see. I didnt really feel scared, but there was so many police you kind of wondered if it was only safe because of the police. We didnt do much, had a big night out, then a hangover, then just kicked about. IT was also election weekend and was a 'dry' weekend from 3am sat until 10am monday....! Talk about a bad weekend to visit! We hd a good time going out, and were happy to do very little and relax before going to Mexico. So.. no pictures of Bogota i'm afraid!

Again mixed feelings about leaving Colombia.. In my opinion it was one of the best places ive
DSCN0879DSCN0879DSCN0879

selfie at plaza santo domingo
been.. it has everything.. warm weather, cool weather, beaches, mountain, friendly people, lovely architecture.. and quite affordable. The food was getting a bit tiring (dread to think how much ive gained} and after Bogota we were itching to get somewhere good. Like everything.. unfortunately it all ends.. but I hold Colombia very high in my heart and would tell anyone to go... nothing to be scared of!!

Arriving in Mexico after a 5 hour flight we were greeted with about another hour wait to get through customs, bag searches etc, but finally arrived about 10pm at night in our huge room.. it was a quadruple room with a balcony.. jackpot! Immediately even looking out the taxi window I knew i was going to like the place. I wont lie, i had in my head it was going to be a terrifying place, but i have nothing remotely scary to report. I felt safe, and everyone was super friendly. Locals treat you well and dont try to rip you off like in Asia, prices at markets were cheap and the same for tourists as locals. We were there for the weekend of halloween/day of the dead, which is a huge festival over here, and for that it was hard to find accomodation. In Oaxaca "wahaca" it is known to have the biggest festival, but accomodation was sparse and we would have cut our time short in MXC so we stayed for the weekend... and ended up 9 nights in total! I think as we travel more we move slower/are more lazy, but there was always stuff to see. I thought it would be roasting hot but was delighted to find out it had a lovely climate. 22-24 daily, and 12-14 overnight, which made seeing the city loads easier. I even wore jeans and boots and was loving it!

In terms of sights, the main ones are the main squares, the latin american tower, the angel, the palace of fine arts,the anthropology museum and various areas which are filled with parks, squares, street food, music and so on. But mexico city isnt a place of 'sights' as such, but rather of exploring diverse areas and neighbourhoods, of which there are loads! What struck us initialy was how it different from Europe/other places.. for example back home you have an area.. it will have a supermarket, a clothes shop, a WH smith, a beauty salon and so on. Here each area just had one thing! So you could encounter 4 blocks of fabric shops, stationary shops, the another area is only hairdressers, only mechanics and so on. Very different but very interesting. OF course it goes without saying that the food was lovely, cheap, and a pleasant change.

Another big theme was day of the dead. IT is not a mourning, but rather a ceebration of life, which is something i dont think we do so well in Europe. Gatherings are offered, everyone dresses up (often as Catalina) and i beleive the graveyards are busy places. From the pics you can see some of the stuff going on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

DSCN0893DSCN0893
DSCN0893

view from tower
DSCN0896DSCN0896
DSCN0896

huuuuuge city
DSCN0903DSCN0903
DSCN0903

palace of arts in corner
DSCN0918DSCN0918
DSCN0918

this was made from rice can you believe?!
DSCN0955DSCN0955
DSCN0955

angel of independence
DSCN0929DSCN0929
DSCN0929

palace of fine arts
DSCN0932DSCN0932
DSCN0932

chapultec park


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb