Mexico City, Tuxtla Gutierrez and Sumidero Canyon


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas » Chiapa de Corzo
June 25th 2011
Published: June 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Dias Uno!
Arrived in Mexico City after a pretty good flight in business class, not to shabby. I enjoyed a fair few ales on the 11 hour journey. Although we still had to eat economy food as we were upgraded, so no fillet steak for me this time. We got to Mexico City at about 2am GMT and 8pm in Mexico and were both very tired. Got into a taxi to get to our hotel, the journey was pretty interesting. There was traffic everywhere and the traffic lights had stopped working at a major crossroads so after that the taxi driver had no hesitation driving through red lights for the rest of the journey. As we were sitting in traffic there was a boy selling machetes to people in their cars. Hey only in Mexico City. Got to the hotel Roble eventually for a well deserved rest.

Dias Dos!
Woke up and went downstairs for a traditional Mexican breakfast of coco pops and warm milk yum! After breakfast we went for a walk around Mexico City´s historic central square. The square was huge with a few sporadic market stools, they were mostly selling communist memorabilia for some reason. We went in the Grand Cathedral next to the square. This catherdral was solid gold. Well not really but it had alot of gold in it, maybe that is why there were so many police. Walking around the square we probably past 75+ police, safe as houses. We got a taxi to the airport and had a wings for lunch. Wings was essentially a Mexican version of Frankie & Benny´s, I got a beef sandwich with lots of Guacamole. We arrived in Tuxtla about 6 o´clock and went to a ´weathered´hotel (I´m sure Elle would not describe this hotel as ´weathered´ i´m just trying to be kind). It was very hot and humid in Tuxtla so I had a cold shower which was amazing. Then watched the Mexico-USA football match that was on the telly. A good night all in all.

Dias Tres
On day three finally had a traditional Mexican breakfast, nachos with a tomato sauce (not salsa) and a caramelised pear. Both were delicious. Elle had a fruit salad which was also good.
After breakfast we got a taxi to Chiapas de Corzo to see the stunning Sumidero Canyon. We got on a speedboat to head down the canyon. This canyon was a amazing with walls over 100m high. As it was a national park there was lots of wildlife to see. First stop was the crocodiles, we saw an adult crocodile on the river bank soaking up the rays. Then we saw a few baby crocodiles in the river that we only a foot head to toe. Elle´s reaction was "awwww they´re so cute. Can we keep one?". After that we saw some spider monkey´s swinging through the treetops. Elle´s reaction was "awwww they´re so cute. Can we keep one?". We moved through the canyon to the hydroelectric dam where there were these huge birds that were like grey pelicans. When we returned from the canyon and went for a cheap date where I had a su'preme sandwich, four kinds of meat and the best guacamole i´ve ever tasted. Elle ordered steak tacos, according to elle they tasted like dog. We then got the bus to San Cristobla where I shotgunned window seat and the views of the plains as we headed into the mountains were fantastic. Elle watched an English drama that was dubbed into Spanish. We arrived at San Cristobal, an awesome place with small streets and colonial architecture. Finall we were in real Mexico. We headed to Hostal Los Camellos, a traditonal hostel with nice basic rooms. We went to dinner at ´mayambe' which had great food and and good strong mojitos. We moved onto a bar called ´pint london', very Mexican I know. Next door a band was playing old 60´s rock classics in Spanish. We definatley heard a Chuck Berry song.
Anyways that´s all for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.331s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.2869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb