Tijuana- Burning Sun, Tall Hills, fresh Ceviche, and Donkey Shows.


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Baja California » Tijuana
March 6th 2012
Saved: April 17th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

From Indy to Shanghai

three cultures in one week= FUN

Tijuana- Burning Sun, Tall Hills, Fresh Ceviche, and Donkey Shows.




DAY 1

Right after we crossed the busiest border of the world, I felt the welcoming of a new land. The Mexican flag waving as we walked, the Spanish words jumping from my mouth, the kids selling chicles to us, and of course the great weather! Oh yes! Ladies and gentlemen, Tijuana and San Diego share the same sun.

I was tired but also very excited, Fabiola the explorer, her Chinese monkey Bai, and our friend Joe were about to experience the scary city of Tijuana.

My cousins Isabel and Lidia picked us up at the border; they took us to the Chinese consulate with their badass van that you no longer see in the United States. The driving was crazy; I was impressed by my cousin’s skills of driving that van in such a busy and wild traffic. It took us some time finding the Chinese consulate, however thanks Joe who spied on google maps the streets of Tijuana, we found the consulate.

We finally made it, and let me tell you--it’s a nice consulate. There was no waiting line, only a cute Mexican
Bad ass Van Bad ass Van Bad ass Van

My cousin Lidia has skills! She can park!
girl (or a hot señorita according to Joe) who worked there with a chino that seemed to also enjoy la señorita’s beauty.

Bai talked to the Chino using his ching-chong skills that I still don’t get it, and they agreed that I will pick up the visa in four days, the next Friday. My cousins recommended us to exchange our dollars to pesos because if people saw us with the “green Washingtons” in our hands, they would sell us things in a higher price, so we exchanged our dollars to pesos.

MARISCO NEGRO DURAZO

Happy by our visa success, our cousins took us to a seafood restaurant called Marisco Negro Durazo. In this restaurant, the snakes swim in tequila, food is fresh, and all waitresses are men that work really hard filling your glass of cerveza Tecate. I ate consommé* and ceviche, and both were delicious.

I forgot how good seafood tastes when is fresh. It’s sad that in Indianapolis the closest “seafood” you can get is in Red Lobster, McCormick & Schmick's or in the so-famous cocktail shrimp from St. Elmo (and you have to pay outrageous amount of money for it). The price was okay, it’s not as cheap as other restaurants in Tijuana, but it’s definitely cheaper than a lot of restaurants in the United States. My biggest complaint about the restaurant is the band is so loud that I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!!

After the good meal, we took Joe back to the border because he is gringo and he was afraid of losing his flight next morning. He waited on the border line for two hours where he bought luchadores masks and he witness a show of Mexicans fighting.

Bai and I went to my cousins’ place where we found out that my cousins lived on a hill!



A few definitions in case you got lost…

Chinito (a): Chinese male/female. We Mexicans like to call Asians “chinos,” we add the “ito/ita” in the end of the word, so we don’t sound rude. For more information, please read book “Ask a Mexican" by Gustavo Arellano.

Consommé: is a type of clear soup made from richly flavored stock or bouillon that has been clarified usually through a fining process involving egg protein. (Note: I was nice enough to copy-paste it from wikipedia, so shut up and enjoy.)
Chinese ConsulateChinese ConsulateChinese Consulate

I told you! It's nice


Luchadores: Please watch the movie called "Nacho Libre."

Chicles: gum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 24


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

Prima and chino againPrima and chino again
Prima and chino again

Since everybody work in the morning, Arely was the only one available. She skipped class and she became our tourist guide


Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb