WHITEHORSE


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Whitehorse
August 10th 2011
Published: August 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

August 9 – 10, 2011 DAWSON CITY TO WHITEHORSE, YT
Our drive to Whitehorse was a full day and rather uneventful, at least for us. Our tail-gunner, Pudge Wright, had engine trouble with his pick-up and had to be towed into Whitehorse, arriving about 10:30 p.m. He has to wait for a day for the part needed to fix the problem. Fortunately there have not been any other major problems with any of the other rigs and no accidents. Dinner was provided again after our arrival in Whitehorse. It was a wonderful BBQ steak, baked potatoes and salad, and of course a delicious dessert. The dinner was held in the banquet room at the RV park. Wednesday morning we were picked up in the bus and taken to the banks of the Yukon to board a small boat which took us for a 1-1/2 hour trip up the Yukon. This boat ride did not begin to compare with the two others we had done out of Skagway and Valdez. However it was rather interesting to watch a couple of float planes taking off from the water. Our afternoon was free so we invited our travelling companions to join us for a trip out to the Yukon Wildlife Preserve where we could see LIVE animals native to this area (not just stuffed ones). As it turned out we were the only 4 on the tour, so we got a very personal and “up close” visit where we could get close enough to the animals to take some really great pictures.
Tomorrow we have another rather long day down to Watson Lake, covering the same road we came north on.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb