The Alaska Highway: Dawson Creek--Watson Lake--Whitehorse


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Whitehorse
November 7th 2005
Published: November 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

It’s now day 2 of driving on the Al-can and we haven’t made it that far. We’ve only driven about 5 hours each day -- we made it as far as Whitehorse, in the Yukon, today.

Yesterday, on the Dawson Creek to Watson Lake section, we saw so many Caribou - most of them were standing in the middle of the road, apparently licking salt off the road. We also saw a Big Horn Sheep - just one on a section where some rocky cliffs came close to the road. He ran off into some pine trees pretty fast once he saw us, and then he looked like he was going to climb up the cliff, but I think he was trying to fake us out because he just stayed in one spot. I think he wanted us to leave so he could come back down & finish checking out whatever interested him along the roadside.

We also found an incredible hot spring at the Laird River, about 2-3 hours north of Dawson Creek. We just pulled off the Al-can, drove a short distance to a small parking lot & then walked about 5-7 minutes on a boardwalk to this wonderful hot spring in the woods. That short walk was very cold (probably about 10 degrees F yesterday) & then we had to change clothes & walk on the snow-covered deck to get into the hot pool of water. The water felt so good!!! It was amazing to look around and see snow-covered woods while relaxing in a steaming pool of hot water.

Today it’s still very, very cold - about 6 degrees F at 4:30pm. Everything is covered with snow, but it’s just a light covering - not too deep yet. Many of the rivers we’ve crossed over have been frozen, or close to it with ice floes forming.

Tomorrow we’ll get to Haines Junction (only about 2 hours from here) & then we’ll decide whether we take a detour into Haines or continue on to cross the Canadian-US border near Beaver Creek, YK.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Big Horn SheepBig Horn Sheep
Big Horn Sheep

Very cool sighting!!


29th November 2005

Amazing!
Hi guys, Thankyou for your amazing pictures. My boyfriend and I travelled along the same roads as you back in May/June and it's remarkable to see the same landscape under snow. We also took a dip in the Liard Hot Springs, but it was so crowded we had to camp in the parking lot. Good on you - I'll definitely come back to read your Blog again.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb