Whitehorse, Haines and Juneau


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Whitehorse
July 7th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Whitehorse


Beringia Interpretive Center had great exhibits. We watched some movies, participated in some spear throwing instructions and toured the exhibits. It’s a great place to spend an afternoon. Their website is: www.beringia.com.

McBride Museum had a lot of displays on the gold rush. They also had Sam McGee’s cabin. He knew Robert Service and that is how his name was used in one of the poems. It was interesting to learn about his life rather than the life that was associated with the name in the poem.
We’ll be passing through Whitehorse on our way home, so we deferred some things until that time.

Lake Laberge


It’s north of Whitehorse and of course we visited it. I’ve learned more about Robert Service, his life and his poems since being in this area. George did a great job of reciting the whole poem from memory while standing on the edge of the lake.

Haines, Alaska


The drive on the Haines Highway is beautiful. We saw a grizzly bear along the road. It was in some bushes eating and there was a great side view of it’s back and the hump. I got a picture of that, which wasn’t all that exciting. When I closed the RV window, it stood up on it’s hind legs, and hopefully the other cars that were stopped, got some great pictures.

We arrived here in the Haines area without reservations. We decided to try the campground down by the marina before checking out some state parks. It was our lucky day as a spot opened up a few minutes before we arrived. Oceanside Campground has full hook-up and a great view. We planned to stay 2 night, but are on our 5th night already. They had a great barbeque for the 4th of July. We ate ribs, salmon and crab while being entertained by a fun band. It was an interesting mixture of instruments which included a washboard, a banjo, a base, guitar, and fiddle.

Juneau


I took a cruise to Juneau one day of the Fjordline Ferry. It’s a catamaran and the excursion lasts about 12 hours. We saw some whales on the trip to Juneau, but the only photos I got were of the splashes. The only way to get to Juneau is by boat or plane. The mountains rise up steeply behind the town area.

Windshields


The Saturn got it’s second starburst crack, which I was able to repair with the same repair kit.
The RV got it’s first starburst crack on the driver’s side. I was able to repair most of it with the same kit, but was a little short on the solution due to being over-generous on the second Saturn crack.
We’ve been looking to buy another windshield repair kit, but haven’t had any luck finding any.
So far our windshield cracks have all occurred in The Yukon.






Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Lake LabergeLake Laberge
Lake Laberge

George did a great job reciting from memory "The cremation of Sam McGee."
PoemPoem
Poem

Just a small part of the poem.
Oceanside CampgroundOceanside Campground
Oceanside Campground

Close to your neighbors, but worth the view.
Oceanside Campground viewOceanside Campground view
Oceanside Campground view

A view I couldn't get enough of.
Eagle coming in for a landingEagle coming in for a landing
Eagle coming in for a landing

Note the reaction of the eagles on the ground.
Haines Main StreetHaines Main Street
Haines Main Street

Waiting for the 4th of July parade.
Haines Main StreetHaines Main Street
Haines Main Street

Antique car gets a helping push to be able to be part of the parade.
Mud volleyballMud volleyball
Mud volleyball

A 4th of July event in Haines.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb