Island to Island, Hostel to Hostel


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Cape Breton was kind of miserable the first day we were there, it rained most of the afternoon and the rest of the day was cloudy. We drove to Sydney stopping to see the Alexander Graham Bell site...but it was closed. The scenery probably would have been nice in the sunshine but in the rain things just felt dull. So in Sydney we went to the mall. What do else do you do on a rainy day? Well, lots of things, but it was nice just to go wander the mall. We drove back west through a different route and it was much sunnier the next day. The scenery seemed so much prettier! We passed through Antigonish and stopped at cape st. george to see the lighthouse, then drove along the coast until we reached New Glasgow. There is a hostel in Weymouth...not much else, but there is a hostel...so we cut across country following some little highways which were very very full of potholes. Seriously, they made Saskatchewan roads look good! The hostel is an old house that has been converted into a hostel so it has character that you just can't find in a hotel. There were only two other guests there so we had a quiet relaxing evening. This was the first time my sister had stayed in a hostel so I'm glad it was a positive one!

After our stay in the countryside we made out way to Charlottetown PEI, stopping in Joggins to see the fossil cliffs. Tours weren't really operating yet (they had one later in the day) and the cafe and stuff wasn't open yet, but we were still able to wander around and check out the beach. It was neat walking so far out, seeing the ocean plants exposed and scanning the rocks for fossils. We did see a couple!

We took the bridge over to PEI. It's the longest bridge I have ever seen. 12 KM! Its crazy! For me that was also a neat experience.

Charlottetown is little, but its cute and the people are chatty. There wasn't much going on so we just explored on foot and hung out at the hostel again in the evening. Today, we drove over to the Anne of Green Gables house...also closed...then back down and over the bridge. You pay the $44.50 toll going back to NB. What a ridiculously expensive toll! The afternoon we spent exploring Moncton and enjoying the sunshine here over a Keiths. Yummy. And tonight there's a hockey game on...soo hockey it is.

Overall, the last few days haven't been action packed or anything, but the scenery, the towns and the people have all been very pleasant. Its been nice as I'm in wind down mode and I'm getting tired of travelling. When the end is in sight its hard not to check out a little bit. I'm looking forward to just being home, in my own bed. However, we still have to pack up my sister's stuff in Shediac (hopefully tomorrow, but there is some drama in that situation) then make the long drive back to the west. We might be home by the weekend...we'll see!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.344s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0999s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb