Reflections and Live Generously Group Photo


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Prince Edward Island » Montague
August 13th 2015
Published: August 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

So many memories have drifted in and out of thinking this week now that we're back from Prince Edward Island. The conversations about the impact of our time helping build Jocelyn's and Alexina's home have peppered most conversations with others this week. Even though we gave our generosity, time, effort, and love, it feels like we came away with more than we gave. We gave hope to a young family who has been in the process of qualifying for a Habitat home for four years. We gave words of encouragement written on the interior wall frames and behind siding panels. We gave encouragement to each other and to the other volunteers who joined us during the week. We gave our willingness to be vulnerable and become acquainted with one another at a much deeper level. We gave laughter and song. We gave appreciation for those who fed us and transported us, even at the wee hours of the morning or night when flights arrived or departed at inconvenient times.



What we received will be with us forever. We received the satisfaction of helping this young family have a safe place to call home built by many loving hands. We received new understanding of the building process thanks to our patient construction manager Don. We received the gift of friendship with our colleagues across the US who authentically shared their lives in conversation and laughter by the evening bonfires. We received inspiration from each other as we shared our ideas and struggles with the work we all are a part of. We received the gift of generosity in the amazing meals that were provided for us by our new friends at the PEI Habitat Affiliate and from Jocelyn's family who provided snacks and lunch daily. And we received the possibility of future such builds in other places where we could contribute hope to others.



Amazing gifts in our giving and receiving. Thanks be to God and to Thrivent leadership who have placed such importance on the partnership over these last 10 years with Habitat. And thanks to each member of the PEI team who came with open minds and open hearts to make a difference in the world, one family at a time. I'm humbled to have been a part of this experience and grateful for the opportunity to do it again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb