I need a hiding place. This place is scary.


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Beamer needs some alone time.  Beamer needs some alone time.  Beamer needs some alone time.

Beamer is not sure he likes Holiday Inn. There are kids running around. They are little leaders, apparently in town for a tournament.
Geo: 46.2365, -63.1282

Today was moving day. We checked out of our hotel in New Glasgow and headed for Prince Edward Island for 2 days. We left at 8:20 and 68 degrees and headed west after studying the maps, arguing with Miss GPS and deciding that the only way to get where we were going, the way we wanted to get there, was to use the map and the road signs, so that is what we did. And for the most part, we did quite well, only missing a turn twice all day.

We took the scenic route on the north side of Nova Scotia to the Confederation Bridge that spans the Northumberland Straight. It is 13 km or about 8 miles long and takes about 12 minutes to cross. There was no toll going over, but they get you on the way back for 46 CAD or about $35 American for a car. We will pay on our return trip. There is a ferry that makes the same crossing further east for 71 CAD or about $54 American.

Before crossing the bridge we had an experience like none other we have had on any of our road trips thus far. We stopped at a local convenience store to use the washrooms. Upon entering the store we noted a sign that said washrooms only for customers. Well I was looking to buy bananas, so I thought, okay, I will buy bananas then I will use the facilities. But they didn't have any bananas. And the guy refused to let us use the washroom. So we picked up a tube of Pringles and took it to the counter. 3.29 for a tube of Pringles. We set it before the guy behind the counter, we suspect the owner, and he rang it up as 4.40 with tax. (That would be about $2.50 American. The guy refused our credit card. He only takes cash and debit cards, so Steve gave him an American $5 bill and he returned to Steve $.50. Now, the Canadian dollar is only worth $.75, but he refused to apply the exchange rate, giving Steve a story that made Steve rather angry. We used his rest room and left and it took a while for Steve to get over it. He is still calling this guy a rip-off artist. Essentially we paid $5 to use the facilities.

Once we made the crossing we decided to take a circuitous route to the west, over the top and down to Charlottetown, where we had hotel reservations. And the drive was a pleasant one, hitting many spots along the water…the Gulf of St. Laurence. In some ways it reminded me a lot of Maine and in some, not so much. In Maine, most water side cottages and homes are not visible from the road. There is usually a lot of trees extending from the roadside down to the buildings. Here, there are a lot of fields, so you see a field of hay or a field of grass or a field of corn or potatoes, and far off, down on the water's edge, you see these homes and camps. Much of this land is farmland. And much of it extends all the way to the coastline, something you don't see in Maine, for all of the coastline in Maine is owned and inhabited, a lot of it by out-of-staters. Maine's seaside property sells for a high price, higher than most Mainers can afford, unless, of course, it was family property that was handed down generation to generation. Here in PEI, it makes one think that this kind of property can be had by most.

When we did get close enough to the water to see, we didn't see beaches, but rather mudflats. Mussels, quahogs, and clams are big business here. And many of the bays and inlets were filled with oyster farms…lines and lines of black traps floating on the water. Check out the photos.

We passed a town called Green Gables and my research tells me that, yes, this is the Green Gables made famous in the book about a girl named Ann. You learn something every day.

On more interesting point. The traffic lights are unusual here. And they are rather helpful to people who are color blind because the green light is round, the red light is square and the yellow light is a diamond shape. Now that is creative.

We arrived at our hotel around 4 PM and I don't think Beamer likes this place. He has been hiding under the bed all evening. Check out the photos.

Tomorrow, more of PEI.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



25th July 2016

What did you think of the red dirt and green crops? Pretty festive! Hope you stopped at Green Gables, quite charming...

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb