Agawa Canyon, Onterio


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario
August 27th 2007
Published: June 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

K&S x Country


Additional maps: Great White North

Wednesday August 29, sightseeing day. Wake up call 6:15 and we're off to take the Agawa Canyon train 114 miles north into the wilderness of the Canadian Shield. The only way to get to this park is by train. Pristine northern lakes, wetlands, ponds, remote cabins and logging crews were the views we saw from our window. Actually most of the views were on the return trip since we left in a rather thick fog. During foliage season the train will sometimes have one thousand passengers, thankfully it wasn't crowded the day we went. We had breakfast in the dining car, a tough place to waitress with the rail cars swaying back and forth. We were seated across a young Canadian couple from Sault Ste. Marie. It was nice to have the company. He works on a logging crew and she's waitressing but they both used to drive tractor trailer trucks in the US and Canada. I was impressed. We reached our destination about 12:30 and had two hours to explore the sights. One trail takes you to a lookout platform 250 feet above the tracks where you have a view of the valley and the river. It's 300 stairs I opted to stop at the middle lookout and see the pictures. An easy hike brings you to several waterfalls. The park is very pretty, there are picnic tables, walkways along the Agawa River and of course a souvenir shop in an old railway car for those less inclined to do any hiking. We returned to Sault Ste. Marie about 6:30 and after a drive around the rather depressed downtown and the main drag by the highway looking for a local restaurant we ended up back at the Dock Restaurant where we knew the food was good.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb