On the Road at Last!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario
August 5th 2008
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On the road at last!On the road at last!On the road at last!

Finally on our way, woo-hoo!
Aug. 27 - NOTE: So, the reason I haven't posted this all month is that travelblog.org has been rejecting my photo uploads... it now has a few of the images I selected, but not all of them have uploaded. Hopefully they will materialize shortly, but until then happy reading and I will update again shortly 😊

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After many months of anticipation Yotam and I finally departed for our cross-country trail to Nelson, BC on August 2. The passing of my grandmother required my presence in Rochester for a few days, and I was fortunate enough to have been in attendance for what was a lovely celebration of her life, and a last opportunity to see my entire family before leaving. The next morning we were off, east from Hamilton and north towards cottage country with the hoards of long-weekend revelers.

I have always enjoyed driving north on the 400 in toward Muskoka. The emergence of the Canadian Shield, proud in its solid stability and density is a beautiful thing, and it makes me feel safe, supported by its thick crust… you come to really appreciate nature for its inherent magnificence and beauty when constantly faced with
Lake Superior, ONLake Superior, ONLake Superior, ON

A huuuuggggeeee lake... we should know, we drove around it.
its magnitude at 120KM per hour.

Driving further north, linking with HWY 69 and then HWY 17 the Trans-Canada in Ontario, the ruggedness of the province quickly leaves its mark. Being a southern urbanite from the sheltered peninsula of the GTA, I had never thought of my province as being particularly grandiose in its geography. Mind you, I have only been as far north Algonquin previously, so admittedly know nothing of the northern expanses of Ontario. Well, driving up over Lake Huron and Lake Superior, I can testify that this province is no wimp. The highway takes you through stone that has been blasted and carved away to permit the passage of the road, and the forests span out endlessly to the horizon. There is a density to these woods that is overwhelming, as if you can feel the natural selection taking place, some life being smothered out for the sake of another’s. There are no fences at the roadside, no sign posted into the earth forbidding trespass. It seems that there is only the implicit message; enter at own risk. It is not unnerving, but demands humility, which I gladly give.

We stayed in Agawa Provincial Park
Lake Superior, ONLake Superior, ONLake Superior, ON

Lovely trail of sunlight on the water.
the first night, a lovely convenient park just off of HWY 17 and right on Agawa Bay, on Lake Superior. It was really beautiful, very clear, fresh and a lovely first nights stay. Our tent yielded us a few challenges, but a friendly neighbor, Jim came over and lent a hand and soon we were in business. A good nights sleep and an early rise the next day got us on the road again. In total it took us two and a half days to get out of Ontario. More than half our trip! On to the prairies!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Agawa Bay, Lake Superior Provincial Park, ONAgawa Bay, Lake Superior Provincial Park, ON
Agawa Bay, Lake Superior Provincial Park, ON

Gorgeous beach at our first night stay.
Day Two! Still on Ontario!Day Two! Still on Ontario!
Day Two! Still on Ontario!

It takes two and half days to drive out of Ontario...
Sandbar Lake Provincial Park, ONSandbar Lake Provincial Park, ON
Sandbar Lake Provincial Park, ON

Cooking some dinner on night two of our trip :)
Big Sky, ONBig Sky, ON
Big Sky, ON

North-western Ontario feels like it exists on a larger scale than southern Ontario... serious.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb