Lennon and Timmins and Bears, Oh My!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Parry Sound
April 27th 2010
Published: April 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Soak Up That SunSoak Up That SunSoak Up That Sun

Ted enjoys the sun and sand in North Bay, near the spot we had our lovely breakfast picnic.
***PHOTOS NOW ON PREVIOUS TWO POSTS HURRAH***

STARTING LINE-UP: Ted, Davis, Lennon the superstar, Nanook

PITCH CONDITION: Lovely sunshine but freezing wind - good for polar bears.

MATCH OVERVIEW: An exhausting but rewarding effort.

PLAYER INFO: Lennon put in an outstanding effort, covering 620km in one afternoon after already putting in the hard yards the previous couple of days.. With Ted pointing him in the right direction and Davis offering support to both, the team worked together well to achieve the desired result.

HIGHLIGHTS:

- Enjoyed our breakfast picnic on the lake in lovely North Bay - hometown of one of Lennon's medical team from Canadian Tire.

- Set off directly north, stopping briefly at Temagami to take piccies of (yet another) stunning lake.

- Spent the night in the surprisingly large Timmins. The drive up there was, yet again, absolutely spectacular. The roads are literally carved through the rocky landscape, with genuine (and a few faux) log cabins and other cute houses full of crazy people living in the middle of nowhere.

- Made the fairly late decision to carry on north (before back-tracking and heading south as planned) to visit Cochrane.
TemigamiTemigamiTemigami

Davis checks out the beautiful Lake Temigami.
In itself not a particularly thrilling town, but it is the starting point of the Polar Bear Express (saving that one for a later trip) and - our reason for the detour - the home of Nanook, a real live polar bear.

We both absolutely LOVED Nanook! He is HUGE! And soooo adorable. And he seems pretty darn happy for a captive animal - he's got a great life up there and he knows it! Seriously he was soooooo big and fluffy and gorgeous and fuzzy and cute and lovely. If Lennon was a bit bigger Cochrane could be missing a bear...and we would probably be missing several limbs by now...

- We then had a fairly massive drive ahead of us to get to our scheduled stop in Parry Sound. Didn't end up getting to the hotel till after 11pm - especially after we wasted 45 minutes trying to get out of Sudbury. Which makes us sound like the stupidest people on the planet but seriously there were NO signs to the highway we needed. So Sudbury is well and truly off the "Team Ted's Favourite Towns" list. Which we're sure it really cares about.


SUMMARY: A
Ted, Timmins and TwainTed, Timmins and TwainTed, Timmins and Twain

Timmins is the home town of another of Ted's favourite singers, Shania Twain.
mammoth driving effort, but definitely worth the extra miles to see our very first Canadian polar bear. Pity it wasn't watching one ambling majestically across the tundra...but then again, it was very reassuring having nice thick glass between us and him.

Miss you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

No, this is not Nanook...No, this is not Nanook...
No, this is not Nanook...

Davis sees how she measures up against a fully grown polar bear. The bear wins.
Nanook and His LunchNanook and His Lunch
Nanook and His Lunch

RD bonds with the bear through the glass...but he is only interested in his fish.
The bear is the one on the left...The bear is the one on the left...
The bear is the one on the left...

Teddy gets up close and personal with the very handsome Nanook.
Mmmm ice blockMmmm ice block
Mmmm ice block

Nanook enjoys his fish guts ice block yummy.


30th April 2010

What else can I sing except "There's a bear in there".....
1st May 2010

Groan
Enough with the lame bear sing-along puns! I can't bear it anymore! Oh wait...

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb