Ottawa and Niagara (WARNING LOTS OF PHOTOS)


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
July 2nd 2008
Published: July 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

On Monday we got to ottawa. After some fun and games with storms, we finally went for a lovely walk alongside the river, by the locks and around the back of parliament house, the courts and the mint, alongside lake Ontario with the sun setting gorgeous colours. As we came around to the front of the courts and parliament we saw some of the preparations for the Canada day celebrations and scored a free listen in on the rehearsals which was awesome!

The next day we were getting ourselves ready for the drive to niagara, we managed to see the changing of the guard parade come down the street and turn the corner in front of our hotel from our room window!

By the time we got to niagara it was late afternoon, bi that didn't destroy the magnificant view from our room!!! My phone still isn't zooming so you can imagine how great it was to open the curtains to that! We headed down and got our pass for all the things we wanted to do and wandered up to the Canadian falls where we did the behind the caves walk. It was unbelievable!! Being able to stand in a tunnel and hear and see the tonnes of water coming over the top of us was just unreal! We walked back down to the hotel and watched the falls illuminations which went from 930 to midnight. They looked great they really did, absolutely beautiful with all the rainbow of colours cross them...

Tuesday was Canada day. We started early with a trip on the maid of the mist. That was awesome, we were soaked and got so close to the falls!! The swell wasa insanely choppy the boat was powering like crazy to just stay in the one spot! We were out there for half an hour and it was brilliant! I loved it, we both wanted to go again!

We headed down to do the aero car which crosses between two Canadian points over the whirlpool. This was cool cos on one side it was rapids and the other side what looked calm (but was quite quick!) so was a bit surreal...

From there we got a bit closer to the rapids with the white water walk. It took us down right next to the grade 6 whirlpool rapids which are the highest grade of rapids you can get! The waves made by the rapids were amazing! Swells from 3 to 5m!!! And they used to tightrope over it! Crazy Canadians!

So having explored the Canadian side of the falls, we walked across the rainbow bridge to America. Quite the novelty we could walk to another country! We walked around the American falls and over to goat island which separates the American and Canadian falls. We decided to do the wind of the caves on the American falls. So we thought we had been as close t the falls and as wet from the falls as we could, but we were well wrong!!! We had the falls running under the walkways we were on, so close we could reach out and touch them! But then we got closer! They have a hurricane deck which is next to a rock below the bridal veil falls, so you get the spray straight from the falls! It was strong, but not enough to push you over, but the feeling was cool, we stood in and got hit by niagara falls! We were so soaked that the raincoat they gave us was quite redundant, and we were pleased we were given special sandals for the trip too!

We walked over goat island a bit afterwards to dry off, then walked back to Canada and the hotel. As a perfect end to a wonderful Canada day, we were treated to a 15 min fireworks show over the falls that we had the perfect view of from our room and without all the crowds! It was gorgeous!

But all good things do come to an end and we had to move on and leave Canada... But we had an absolute blast there and finished it spectacularly with niagara for Canada day... Now let's see what Washington can do for independence day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Maid of the Mist 1Maid of the Mist 1
Maid of the Mist 1

Candian falls
Maid of the Mist 2Maid of the Mist 2
Maid of the Mist 2

Canadian Falls
Maid of the Mist 3Maid of the Mist 3
Maid of the Mist 3

Canadian Falls
Maid of the Mist 4Maid of the Mist 4
Maid of the Mist 4

The Canadian Falls are there somewhere!
Maid of the Mist 5Maid of the Mist 5
Maid of the Mist 5

Goat Island side of Canadian Falls
Maid of the Mist 6Maid of the Mist 6
Maid of the Mist 6

The Swell we were dealing with
Maid of the Mist 7Maid of the Mist 7
Maid of the Mist 7

Canadian Falls
Maid of the Mist 8Maid of the Mist 8
Maid of the Mist 8

Canadian Falls... getting closer!
Maid of the Mist 9Maid of the Mist 9
Maid of the Mist 9

In the middle of the Canadian Falls Horseshoe


Tot: 0.363s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb