1st July 2008


Advertisement
Published: July 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

1st July 2008
Had a leisurely start this morning. Richard had to do a final clean and tidy up of the house he has been living in for the last year. We helped to clean his house and say goodbye to his neighbours.
Then we left Wasaga Beach to travel to Owen Sound for lunch. We went to Harrison Park in Owen Sound. It is a delightful park set in a vally with river Sydenham flowing through. It was built by a Mr Harrison a local saw mill owner who had emigrated to Canada from Staffordshire and become a successful mill owner. He was a philanthropic employer and when work was slack in the sawmill during the depression, he got his staff to build bridges across the river Sydenham, walkways, shelters and seating in the park. His grateful employees presented him with two beautiful carved chairs to which they had all contributed when he retired.
After his death his family sold the park to the local council who have maintained it ever since for the whole comminity to enjoy.
After lunch we went off to explore Inglis Falls which were impressive and very unspoilt. The river Sydenham pours over the rocks and provided a photo opportunity.
After that it was highway 6 as far as the eye could see for 120 kms to the end of the Bruce penninsular and Matt's cottage in Dorcas Bay.
The cottage had been recently built and was made of big logs and had a view out of the front porch to die for!
We unloaded and after a brief look round made our way to Singing Sands for a short walk before supper. The wildflowers in these sands were amazing and particularly the pitcher plants which were in bloom. These sands are also famous for the number of different orchids they have. After this we went into Tobermoray for supper and watched a firework display for Canada Day, then headed back for the cottage and a good sleep.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb