On the Viking Trail........


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well not quite at Saint Anthony, I am at the Ferry terminal at Saint Barbe. Pat is checking out us going over to Labrador. Let me back up a few days......After arriving at Port aux Basques on the ferry from N.S. on Fri July 30th, we gased up and headed north. Saw a dead moose at the side of the road. Feeling pretty bagged after so little sleep, but wanted to get as far north as we could, being a long wknd.

The mountains going north reminded me of the pitons on St Lucia. Tall and pointy, but filled with trees right up to the top pretty well (whereas the pitons are rock). Stopped in Cornerbrook for gas, snack and supplies. Beautiful town set up high with lots of stores and selections. Gross Morne National Park is a breathtaking sight with the mountains on our right and the Gulf of St Lawrence on our left.

We tried the KOA campground in Gross Morne but it was full. Kept going till Green Point Prov park. Lovely spot by the water but no services. Pat tried fishing by the water but ended up with periwinkles only. I slid along the seaweed/rocks to collect some stones. What a beautiful sunset that evening, but rain came thru the nite.

Continued north the next morning, saw a cow moose by the side of the road but she bolted for the bushes, very elusive creatures! Decided to stay the nite at a campground in Hawke's Bay. How we relish those simple things like a hot shower! Checked out the local boardwalk and saw huge dragonflies and slugs! Unfortunately the black flies were out in full force, especially once the evening set in. We escaped to a local hotel/bar for a drink and then a quick beeline for the tent to bed!




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb