Day Seven


Advertisement
Published: July 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Gor up early and left hotel by 6:30 and hit the (gravel) road. The road was very good for most of the way and that was another treat! Not too long after we were on the road I noticed a small animal on a bridge that we just crossed. So, I stopped and for some reason this animal started heading towards us. At first we thought it was a stray cat, but the closer it got we soon realized it was a fox! Not sure what type of fox, but I think it was an arctic fox. And, it came right up to us like we had something for it. Very peculiar. We snapped a few photos and moved on. Then a mile or so later I noticed a grouse sitting in the middle of the road! And, it didn't want to move! Eventually, it did move aside and we were on our way. We didn't see another vehichle until after being on the road for 1 1/2 hours! Stopped to fish after getting 120 miles in and I actually caught some trout! I think they are brook trout and I'm sure Tod can confirm from the posted photos. Back on the road and enjoying the scenery and stopped to fish again after another 100 miles or so, and caught another one! Didn't have much time to fish, but I think I could've fished all day as I was catching them and they seemed plentiful. We arrived in Red Bay to stay the night and stopped at the visitor center to find out where the hotel was and they informed us that we still had another hour to go. We had out towns mixed up and we are actually staying in L'Anse-au-Clair, Labrador, and it's only 5 minutes from the ferry to Newfoundland, so that's a good thing. We are now on Newfoundland time and it's 1 1/2 hours ahead of Eastern time (kinda strange). Saw some icebergs in Red Bay and along the coast, and that was very cool! I think I even spotted a whale but we didn't see it after we stopped to check it out. Checked into our hotel along with a whole bus load of tourists, but they got us checked in ok, and we also turned in our satilite phone. Dinner was so-so, but it's the only restaurant in town, so what'are'you'gonna'do. Looking forward to tomorrow as we head to Newfoundland to explore the sights!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Starting our day long journeyStarting our day long journey
Starting our day long journey

400 miles of gravel roads
sledsled
sled

saw these everwhere and looks like they used them to haul firewood
InuksukInuksuk
Inuksuk

we saw these everywhere.
icebergiceberg
iceberg

this on floated into Red Bay


29th July 2011

So cool!
Love the icebergs. Good job on catching some fish. Keep us updated on the whales. Someone I work with says that there is a type of whale that has a tusk (Narwhals?)that live in the water up there, but I don't know how far up you are going. Have fun!! P.
30th July 2011
iceberg in Red Bay

this pic is Currin calendar worthy!!!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb