21 Days in Newfoundland - Day 7: Bonavista Lighthouse, Elliston, Root Cellars, Puffin viewing site, Dungeon Provincial Park, and Spillers Cove


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Newfoundland & Labrador » Bonavista
September 14th 2017
Published: September 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Despite the fourth day of rain, had a busy day today. First stop was Elliston where I wanted to see the root cellars. Elliston is the root cellar capital of the world with over 130 spread over town, some still functional. Interesting to see storage methods of days gone by. While in Elliston, there is a well-recognized puffin viewing site where you can see puffins up close. I missed the fact that this was seasonal based upon the birds migration. As it turned out, right place, wrong time as not a single puffin was seen. Oh well, the root cellars were worth the trip. Off to Bonavista to view the majestic red and white lighthouse and scramble (carefully) around the cliffs viewing the action of the waves. Although still functioning, in previous times it was manned by a lighthouse keeper with family who resided in the lighthouse. The current museum depicted that lifestyle. A short drive away is the unique Dungeons Provincial Park. Despite a nerve whacking drive, down a pot-hole infested road that has seen better days, the sight of the double arches with waves crashing through the arches was an interesting sight. Then off to Spillars Cove to see some more coastline and wave action. The sea was angry that day my friend so the views of the crashing waves was impressive. Although quite wet at the end of the day with all the roamings around in the rain, a good day despite the rain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Puffin Chair at puffin viewing sitePuffin Chair at puffin viewing site
Puffin Chair at puffin viewing site

The only puffin I saw that day!
WW
W

Wave action of Ellerston


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb