21 Days in Newfoundland - Day 6: Trinity East and Skerwink Trail


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Newfoundland & Labrador » Bonavista
September 12th 2017
Published: September 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Leaving St John's today for a 3 plus hour drive to my hostel in Trinity East. Although raining as I was driving, fortunately it stopped as I arrived allowing me to contemplate hiking the Skerwink trail in the area that afternoon. This is a 5.3 km trail marked as moderate/strenuous. The first km was relatively flat and easy going through trees and along a roadway or trail. The next 3 km hugged the coastline providing ample opportunities to view the ocean, various coves and beaches, and numerous sea stacks, with multiple observation points along the way. It is a rugged trail and extremely wet given the amount of recent rain. The various up and downs of the trail ( and there are many) reflect the trails rating. It took over two and a half hours for me to hike the distance, including the optional hike to an observation post providing 360 views of Trinity, Trinity East and surrounds. A tiring hike but well worth it. Interestingly, in 2003 it has been ranked as one of the top 35 trails In North America and Europe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 21; qc: 105; dbt: 0.1924s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb