Summer 2016 Catch-up


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick » Fredericton
September 10th 2017
Published: September 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Kiddy ArtKiddy ArtKiddy Art

...displayed at local shopping mall
OOOPS ... no trip pics on this new notebook ...but did find some thing to show ...;-)



Finally found the missing blog that get's me back to home ground. Before plugging in the end of the Maritime Adventire it must be sid that my stay in Fredriction with two fabulous friends was the sensation of the return trip. The visit was to have occured at the beginning of the summer... could not find the place and not for want of searching.... drove to who knows where afe a year but was so so so happy to spend time with this wonderful couple in their stimulating art clustered abode. Loved their space, their welcome, their positive vibes!

Ferry Nfld. to New Sydney N.S. , the drive to Fredricton N.B. and the dash to sudbery via Ottawa and a new prime minister.

On the night before leaving the Newfoundland shore the camping experience was once again delightful. Love that van. The campground was clean and well organized. Now a year later I have no idea of its name … must check visa statement. There was much advertising along the highways about staying in Salthouse B&B's. In the gift
Flood PicnicFlood PicnicFlood Picnic

....while ramp for old bones is being built
shop at the last Nfld campsite tiny salthouse xmas decorations were bought.

The ferry crossing was uneventful ...surely that was not the trip that all vehicles had to back out of the ferry because of malfunction of the front hatch/door/dropgate. During whichever trip that occurred I was able to turn around inside the ferry because of the shortness of the van. Pity the transport drivers ...they had to back out all the way.

Once off the ferry at North Sydney the push was on a) to reach Fredericton and Eugenia and b) to get back to Sudbury before the Olympic games began.

Four days in Fredericton ...

with my Argentinian friends I spent a wonderful four days at their house, sleeping in the van. The downstairs shower and bathroom was just beside where I had parked my van. The house is packed with treasures and pieces of art. The outside eating area is a ways from the backdoor but so pleasant... no bugs in Fredericton.

To get downtown to a lovely bookshop and the art gallery one crosses a bridge after driving along this side of the river. Once the way is imprinted on the brain the trip is very simple, There were only a few times ….maybe two … that alternative routes were followed without intention.

The stay with my Friend was fantastic but the city of Fredericton ...been there ….done that! ...( thinking about it a year later gives a bit of a shinier aura ;-) ....)

Trois Riviere and Cirque de Soliel ???? stayed at Marquis Motel … most comfortable… great coffee … but as per usual b-o-r-i-n-g continental breakfast … what it has to do with continent and which one I would love to decipher … jam and bread , dry cereal … not even a decent croissant or espresso .. not the motels fault … they were supper nice people who had only taken over the motel from Swiss people less than a year ago … their first summer WOW! ...must check on line to see how they are getting on.

That the Cirque was in Tris Riviere was a bit of a pleasant shock and I was most anxious to see the show. It was a bit disappointing that it was not a full, grand, explosive ttuly fantastic presentation but since it seemed that these were acrobats and performers in training it was worth the stop in Trois Rivieres. The most exciting surprise was the Paper Museum. The whole history of the importance, production and necessity of paper was laid out in infinite detail.

Four days in Ottawa at UofO Residence .. very comfortable

What did I do for four days???? Definitely went to the National Gallery. Visited the Museum of Civilisation since the beginning make-over. Maybe it will be finished for Canada 150.Shopped at the market AND was in the Governor general's Garden to witness the walk up to his inaugaration as prime minister of Le Trudeau Junior.

I was there! for the swearing in of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The gardens at the Governor Generals hose were opened to the public. A large crowd waited for the gates to be unlocked. Mounties checked bags and backpacks. Huge screens were setup. Because I was very first ...well maybe tenth... in line to get in, a very good spot right at the edge of the path the entourage would follow was available. I saw it all. Waved to Sophie. Watched the inside activities on the large screen....had some free hot chocolate. ...sang Oh Canada

with a group of school kids on a days outing photographed and was photographed by an east Asian family.


Did not see Harper slinking out the back door.



Of course the mandatory visit was made to the Natural History Museum. Seems I met someone and took them with me. OOOPS … that was another time … that was how I met Eugenia … Memory- crisscross... happens when you have so many good ones.

Push to Sudbury … all in one day ..really needed to get home ….could not sleep out one more night ...neither in motel nor in van !!!

Arrived in time for the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games in Rio. They did not disappoint. No big splash made if anyone developed dysentry from the polluted water they had to row in. No report surfaced about unfinished housing and no big news about illegal drug taking. Or am I just forgetting because I only saw a small portion of the whole event ….have cut the cable … only on WiFi.

And that is how it is.

Have spent the last year doing next to nothing ….reading...knitting....making pyrogies and cabbage rools at the Ukrainian Centre … going to Silvercity Sudbury to feed my cultural needs with televised performances from London UK, Moscow, Stratford Ontario and exhibition event from various galleries. This is all on screen at the local Cineplex. Have joined a rug hooking group..love the concept … although am not enamoured … impossible to watch screen and hook at the same time … give me my knitting! Continue to attend the meetings because the women are such a fine group. The afternoon is spent in chatting laughing , sharing and then always the best coffee inSudbury at Kuppajo's with my friend the potter.

Of course since February plans for the next big adventure have been in the making.

September 11, 2017 till January10, 2018 the UK and points in France, Austria, Czech Rep. And Germany will be visited.

..have a new notebook. The tablet from Honk Kong died an ignoble death … nothing could be retrieved... seems the blog of that trip still has me in China,

...hopefully this notebook will last for the four months of this adventure.

The last three blogs seem to be coming at you *ss end first. Once on the UK adventurre ther will be greater chronological order ... of course not promising anything toorganized...///!!!???

Advertisement



11th September 2017

Thanks for the east coast updates. I hope your tablet lasts or you don't lose it on hadrians wall. Safe travels tonight. Your friend The Potter. LOL

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb