The UK Undertaking


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Westminster
September 12th 2017
Published: September 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Grumpy stayed home!Grumpy stayed home!Grumpy stayed home!

Taking the small pack has made things tight. The pack used to fit better ?!?
From the time the plane landed till the time I reached my room at the Imperial College, Wilson House, four hours had evaporated. One of these hours was spent in the customs line. The seniors railcard was bought and that made the use of the the oyster card less expensive. Inadvertantly on purpose I sat in first classwhich was much less crowded. There was no ticket check.

The room here at Wilson House is extremely basic and 100% better than the Grange in Toronto. Clean, small and don't ask what has gone on on the mattress. There is a quilted mattress cover which hopefully is washed after each guest departs ...let's not go there! The place is booked to the roof.

The itineraryfor partial first day was followed and after sitting so long the walk to Selfridges was a relief. Coming at the store from the back was disappointing ... white with black pollution stains on a squarish block almost in the Brutalist style. The front however was striking. The clock struck six and I had my Selfridges fix. Its a big department store... perfume assails you as you enter... and then its just masses of merchandise ... only
across from the famous storeacross from the famous storeacross from the famous store

every and any piece of kitsch you could wish to take home as a souvegnier (sic)
went as far as the pharmacy to check out hair brush prices ...not cheap. Looking up the centre to the fancy ceiling resulted in a feeling of tightness and narrowness....not like Printemps in Paris ...now that's a department store!

Back at the Residence the kitchen was found, WiFi passwords were secured . Laundry is available 24/7...7/11. After a very long sleep all is ready for the first events in the itinerary .... Burroughs Market for mushrooms,the Docklands Museum and the Tate Modern.

The pic upload is not cooperating...sorry ...have a few good shots of Selfridges... this problem better clearup ... half the fun of a blog is the pics! OK ...the problems seems to be with pics that have been shot as closeups. NO more close ups for the blog ... will remember that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

not a Scent Free Spacenot a Scent Free Space
not a Scent Free Space

duty free choices ... no longer unavoidable ... one walks directly into the area once having successfully come thru security control.
Kommunal KitchenKommunal Kitchen
Kommunal Kitchen

There are twenty refrigerators...everyone has access to one shelf... the fridges are a mess... the cooking pots are a disaster ... what does it look like when the students are in residence????


15th September 2017
Grumpy stayed home!

Dear Barbara, I'm happy to hear that you arrived safe and sound. From the two pictures of Wilson House, it seems an excellent choice. I was alarmed this morning when I read about the explosion on the Parsons lines. Hopefully, you were no where near the place. Thankfully no one died. Let's hope they catch whomever is responsible soon. I know that as an experienced traveller, you have your wits about you at all times. I look forward to your next blog. Stay safe. Besos y abrazos, Barb E.
17th September 2017
Grumpy stayed home!

Gracias Barbara .. all is well and when I do not fall asleep during a small lie down I manage to record thedasy happennings. OXOXO en espanol ;-).

Tot: 0.408s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb