Day 1/2 - Eastbound and Down


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Russell
July 24th 2011
Published: July 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After a morning of running errands and last minute packing we finally left the house and Edmonton, Alberta at 4:06 PM, what Dad refers to as an “early start” on Saturday, July 23,2011. We set off onto our journey across Canada in Dad’s Chevy truck pulling the family trailer. Cruising down the Yellowhead Eastbound we passed Innisfree, Alberta, the successful sister town of Innisfail, Alberta. Usually on road trips one would see animals such as cows, horses, moose, deer and elk however on at the very beginning of our trip we saw a coyote, buffalo,roosters, llamas and sheepdogs that look like goats. With Shaley and Shawn both passed out we continued on to Lloyminster. We decided to stop at a buffet called “Touch of Asia” for a dinner featuring Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese and some Canadian food. Dad even got the 10%!s(MISSING)eniors discount. 😉 After eating to our hearts content we finished watching the Eskimos defeat the Stampeders and continued down the road. Several hours later we pulled over in a dirt patch outside Kenworth truck dealership in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to spend the night.

The next morning we woke up in our gorgeous campsite, cleaned up and set off yet again. Our first stop was (of course) at a Tim Horton’s to get coffee and ice caps. Since it was game day mom got a roughriders donut. We ended up getting lost in Saskatoon for about 45 minutes, but on the bright side we got to see one thing most tourists happen to miss when visiting Saskatoon : the seagull infested landfill. We finally found the way back to highway 16 and continued on to the Isle of the prairies - Colonsay, Saskatchewan. In this small town life is still as it was 100 years ago - in fact mom and dad we telling us some stories about those days. With its tiny hotel and 7-up sign and mini schools the town was quite cute. We stopped to fuel up in the next town over and continued down past the crops of linseed (with bright blue flowers), canola and Saskatchewan’s famous flat land. As well as several "crop ponds" from the excess rain Saskatchewan's been recieving. As soon as we crossed the boarder into Manitoba everyone noticed an array of beloved hills.
Kindof ironic, eh? 😱 We continued on to a campground outside of Russell , with Manitoba's largest outdoor pool to spend a night relaxing and rejuvinating for the rest of our voyage.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0892s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb