Fogust in the Inside Passage?


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
August 8th 2017
Published: August 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


FROM AMA LOG:

Tuesday, 8/8/17

DEPART: La Conner, WA @ 0600

ARRIVE: Nanaimo, CA @ 2030

NM: 85



WEATHER: Clear, calm in Swinomish Channel on departure. Winds light all day with clear (not blue) skies. Air is thick with smoke from “hundreds of fires” that drifted westward from the mainland. Everywhere looks like the polluted skies of Vietnam.



PILOTAGE: We were relieved to waken to clear skies and no fog, dispelling our fears about traveling up the Inside Passage in the month of “Fogust.” Of course, after leaving the Channel, we heard Coast Guard reports of zero visibility in Rosario Strait and the only way to get through the San Juan Islands is at some point through Rosario. A solid white cloud bank seemed fixed to the horizon as we sung through the Guemes Channel “S” curves but thanks to our timeliness, that powerful solar burner in the sky cleared our way. Only once did we hear what every sailor fears, a loud fog horn no doubt from a huge ship, repeated and getting closer. One of Washington Ferries’ ghostly shape looms into view off our stern as it fast approaches but we easily manage to share the vast waterways around us.



Cruising quickly by the San Juans, we check into customs at Bedwell Harbor on North Pender Is. in Canada’s Gulf Islands. Docking alongside one of the ubiquitous “Tupperware” boats found in the area, all eyes were on Ama. Though she’s much smaller than others in the harbor, her color first draws eyes than her unique and pleasing lines gain appreciative admirers. Canadian customs, as always a breeze, asked Peter, “is Bridget onboard?” No doubt they are used to us, if Peter & Bridget check into Canada, it must be August.



Almost to Nanaimo we must traverse Dodd Narrows, matching tides and traffic exactly. A large log boom maneuvered by 3 tugs greets us heading south so we wait to make our way north until they just barely make it though.





We made great time again though fighting tides if the afternoon arriving at 1845 (6:45pm) just in time for dinner! Unfortunately our good friends, Howard & Linda on 'Silhouette’, are planning to meet us the next day on their return voyage. We gathered necessary supplies from the “bake shop” and scooted across the harbor to Mark’s Bay to anchor for the night after devouring leftover pasta (from Ptld.) and scrumptious Indian pakoras from the grocery store.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb