school and other such nonsense...one Orphan's journey to Canada


Advertisement
Published: May 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

In the beginning it was a happen chance idea, but the trip for Nam has become a fantastic reality....

April 30-May 9 2008

Nam's journey has been full of adventures to say the least. The sponsors who came forward after the little bit of press we had have been angels of experience and we managed to have a whole host of things going on for Nam and Kwang.

The biggest English influence for them has been attending Park Avenue school three mornings a week. With Ms. Kraft, the teacher at the helm, they have contributes and participated with Marrin's class in everything from art to physical education. Nam is awesome with the kids and Kwang is loving the staff room!

In the afternoons, the "girls" as they are dearly called by everyone involved, attend an hour long tutoring session with retired teacher Maxine. The focus has been on pronounciation and letter sounds so far.

On Tuesday last week the girls attended the International High School at Malaspina University College with Keith Watson, Principal.
The connection to this project with Malaspina is larger than just attendance for a day, through my work contacts there we have started
In the classroom with Ms. KraftIn the classroom with Ms. KraftIn the classroom with Ms. Kraft

Nam joins the class...
a seed fund and donation project to establish a new library collection for the orphanage. In just under a week, our book count is already more than 400 books. Hardcover, soft cover, young adult, english teaching and science/nature/world books are the focus right now. As you can see from the pic...thats (only about 250 of them) this is a big deal!

Nam also had the opportunity to dance for some family and friends last week when we hosted a potluck dinner one evening. The small group of attendees chatted with Nam, watched her dance and enjoyed food from Thailand and Canada.
list sponsors so far....
plans for dinner and dance
Last wednesday was "Healthamongous" day for the School district and Nam attended and participated with Marrin's class. These pics are so awesome...she loved every minute of it!
There has also been rock climbing, attending and teaching Noah in puppy classes, an overnight trip to Protection Island, a visit to the Wildlife Recovery Centre and even up to Mt. Washington to see snow!

So far, we have had a very full and very busy week and a half!

Nam is so dutiful every night recording her daily events
sharing in the librarysharing in the librarysharing in the library

Nam helps Ms. Kraft tell the children about Thailand
in her journal. we are also very busy preparing for the last week of their stay which includes the Sponsorship Thank You Dinner, Culture Festival at Park Avenue School, Children's Festival in Nanaimo and a few other treats!

Thanks again to those who have helped along the way! I'll have to add a blog at the end of their journey just to post more photos!

Rather than adding a new blog, I've updated this one with more details and a wrap up of the journey for Nam and Kwang.
**********************************

Sponsorship Dinner
School Festival
Children's Festival

Going Home


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb