The next leg...


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Whistler
January 30th 2007
Published: January 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, as hopefully you know by now we made it home with no worries - despite the best attempts of the good old British weather to stop our plane landing. Having slotted back in to the ways and luxuries of England (far too easily) we had Christmas with the families before heading up to Blakeney for new years on the Norfolk coast. We decided that if we were going to cook anything (everyone was expecting dinner!) it had to be a curry... so we spent all afternoon on the 31st trying to understand our scrawled recipes from our two cooking courses in India. After a good few hours we'd cracked out a few dishes that were by no means 'export quality' but did the job that evening! The night went down pretty well and thanks again to the random lad in the bar who bought all 14 of us double sambucas just after midnight!

After recovering from this, catching up with everyone and spending some time with the family, the 22nd of Jan came round in no time at all. We headed down to Heathrow and boarded our flight out to Vancouver and the snow at Whistler - They've already
Soph and MargySoph and MargySoph and Margy

...After a stoll round the storm damaged Stanley park.
had 9 meters of snow this season! I was destined to be a 'manny' (male nanny) driving kids around in huge 4x4 cars for the season and Soph with no job as yet was going to try her luck up in Whistler.

After a few days getting sorted in Vancouver Soph headed up the Sea to Sky Highway to the snow. After considering being a liftie and working at Subway (the last thing I could ever imagine her doing) she ended up being a busser (table clearer - way more glamorous than it sounds!) at a steak house. This gives her nearly all day every day to ski and an epic $8 (about 3.50) an hour!

I then headed up to Whistler a day later and Saturday saw there first day of riding. The sun was out and the snow was pretty good. We also met up and had a ski with Jon who we'd met in Amritsar and lives in Vancouver - a pretty cool coincidence!

The next few days brought more sun with no sign of any snow coming. Most of the seasonaires are starting to complain cause its over a week since the last powder day - but we reckon the conditions are pretty epic as they are! That said, we both cant wait for it to snow!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb