Cruising the Cascades


Advertisement
Published: May 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We had to hang some of the clothes that we’d washed the day before overnight to get them completely dry. By morning they were dry and we finished packing before going down for breakfast. We checked at the front desk to confirm that checkout was at noon; and, this time Sharon had remembered correctly. We hung out in the room until about 10:00AM. I thought that I had left Sharon plenty of room with Sudoku; because, my score was only 75% (with us, it’s usually tough to win with less than 90%, although, you never know). She managed to score in the sixties (although, she may edit this and assert that it was the high sixties). Needless to say, today was starting out pretty good for me.



We really had planned to stay another hour in the hotel, figuring that it would be better to hang out there rather than in the train station; but, we were getting antsy. I was thinking that we would go to Burger King for lunch; but, then Sharon insisted no burgers… she wanted chicken. We drove around a bit, and I wasn’t too optimistic about finding a “chicken place” open before 11AM. The area around our hotel was very industrial, and Sharon put the kybosh on the fifties style diner we came across. I eventually resorted to Google Maps and found that there was a nearby Popeye’s Louisiana Chicken that was open. We had our lunch, got gas next door and returned the rental car. They called us a cab which showed up within minutes. It took a while to get to the Amtrak Union Station and it really was like stepping back into the Fifties. We checked our two main suitcases (Amtrak allows two bags checked per person without charge) on trains that allow checked bags, and like the airlines, they limit suitcases to 50 pounds. Mine was one pound over; because, we hadn’t checked them. But the clerk said that he’d let it slide; although, he did attach a “HEAVY” tag to my bag. Our train didn’t leave until 2:50PM so we had some time to kill. We headed into the Waiting Room; but, when we were assaulted by the shrill screaming shouts of a throng of children travelers we decided to head back into the main train hall by the Boarding Gates and sit in one of the many available wonderful wooden benches (you know the ones, made with incredible craftsmanship “back in the day”). We both got some snacks and drinks for the trip and passed time on our phones.



Sharon had spotted a group of homeless people as we approached the train station (they lined the entire section of sidewalks leading up to the station parking lot), and commented to the taxi driver, “So you have a problem with homeless people too.” Now we both noticed that there was a very thin homeless person with a streamlined tri-wheel luggage carrier loaded to the hilt had come into the train station and moving about in a herky-jerky manner. At first I thought it was a woman because of the frail statue, wearing heavy socks and shoes that seemed much too big for her legs. But when I saw the facial hair and mustache I realized this was a man, and possibly my age. His arms and legs were literally starved to the bone, an image reminiscent of those surviving the concentration camps during World War II. Besides the shoes, he wore a scant pair of gym shorts and a sleeveless tank top. I expected the policeman that strolled by to say something to him as he sat on the concrete floor near the gates; but, he barely gave him a glance. It was when they called for boarding of the southbound train to California destinations that I realized, he and his life’s belongings were boarding the train.



Sharon had booked us Business Class and we were in Car 1. We heard that the train was full or would be with stops further along the way; although, most of the people getting on in Portland were headed for Seattle. Included with our boarding pass was a coupon for $3 off at the on-train bistro. Sharon went up to get a drink; because, she remembered that soft drinks were free with the Business Class ticket. When she came back with her Sprite she noted that “Yeah, it was ‘free’; but, he took the coupon.” The Bistro car was three cars forward of ours, and I went up after we’d pulled into Vancouver Washington to get a bowl of their clam chowder, which was pretty good. It was just another $2 with my $3 coupon. I noted the prices, and the sodas were about $2 (so they really saw her coming). We had two large leather seats side by side. There was the aisle, and on our right was a third seat by itself. There was overhead storage for our carry-ons (we were allowed two). There was an electrical outlet on the wall floorboard beneath the window; but, it isn’t easy for anyone except perhaps a limber child to plug something in there (and there is just one outlet per row on each side of the train). This and WI-FI are the main benefits of the business class, plus the roomy seats, and priority check-in. (And I guess the Bistro-coupon which I guess can be used for free soda).



The Amtrak route from Portland to Vancouver is their “Cascade Experience” and on the way north we passed a sister-train making the southbound trip. The cars are emblazoned with “Amtrak Cascade”. It is a relaxing way to travel, and watching the scenery ranging from coastal seaside panoramas that range from marinas, to working ports, to recreational beaches and surf ravaged seascapes; to forests offering a variety trees that screen out the sun, to rural agricultural enterprises cultivating the land. Sharon took out the camera to capture a picture of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, the bridge that replaced the infamous ill-fated bridge with a similar name that had the moniker “Galloping Girdy”. Later the sunset was gorgeous though difficult to get a photo because of the lights in the train car reflecting on the window.



Shortly after passing the bridge, we both cocked our heads as we became aware of someone to the rear of us in our car had begun to snore. I didn’t know that this was contagious; because, within minutes there were at least three others who had joined the cacophony. And just as quickly as it began, it ended when the conductor announced the arrival at the next station.



The conductor did come by and check our tickets, and placed a paper note on our seat number above our seats (“V//C” which I assume was something akin to Vancouver border crossing). He said that he’d be by later to check our passports, which he did. He also said that near the border, the next conductor who would get on in Seattle may check them again. He did put a check-mark above the “V//C” after he looked at our passports.



We spent some time in Seattle, and most of our fellow travelers got off, and were soon replaced by others. There was apparently some large school group, though we didn’t see them in the business class car, and they had a lot of problems with seat assignments. Some people must have changed seats in spite of us being told not to since they had sent the available seat inventory on the Seattle. Northbound, we witnessed a coastal sunset over the water. With about two hours left, I dozed off, awaking right on queue when we were scheduled to arrive in Vancouver; however, I also awoke to an alternate reality and due to delays, we would actually arrive about 45 minutes late. There hadn’t been any need for us to stop at the border as we passed into Canada; but, we still needed to clear customs and immigration in Vancouver which went very quickly. There were taxis waiting once we’d collected our bags, and we had an easy trip to the hotel. The cab took my credit card, so there wasn’t any need to exchange money so far. The desk clerk at the Day’s Inn told us not to worry about being late. He gave us our key, and mentioned to Sharon how smart it was to show up early for a cruise. Sharon is still wondering how he knew that we were going on a cruise. I’m thinking maybe it has to do with how much luggage we had with us. (Those formal clothes take up so much room!) As I’m about to put the key into our door slot, I was a bit puzzled by the “Do Not Disturb” sign on our door, at least that’s what I assumed it said because it was in French. I hear the desk clerk huffing, saying “Stop” as he hurried towards us. Evidently, the clerk before him had prepared our key and room package for us earlier in the evening, and when we didn’t show up when he expected, he’d given the room to someone else. The clerk gave us the correct key, and we entered, falling quickly asleep without unpacking. It was about half past mid-night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb