Anyone want my crabs?


Advertisement
Published: August 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Because of our inability to get accomodation at Tofino we decided to make a day trip from Ucluelet to Vancouver Island's famous Long Beach. It is a huge long sandy beach with a few rocky outcrops. It reminded me of Riversdale beach in NZ where our family used to spend holidays.

After sunning ourselves for a while, we decided to brave the cold waters. It was brisk to start with but eventually we acclimatised. We certainly got a few strange looks from the surfboarders in their full-body wetsuits.

Once back on dry land we spent hours watching the eagles soaring from their lofty waterfront perches. Once bored of that I turned artistic and made an assortment of crabshell ensambles. Let me know if you want to purchase any, prices start at $500,000.

Before catching the bus back we went to the beachfront museum. I can only remember one thing that I learnt: what portage is. Portage is the dragging of a boat over the shoulders to avoid obstacles such as rapids or waterfalls. The native indians used to do this when they moved camps. Lesson over.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb