Tour: Barkerville


Advertisement
Published: May 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mother and babiesMother and babiesMother and babies

This was the second sighting. They weren't quite as close as this looks, but they weren't far off the road.
(Ness Lake Bible Camp)

For tour today we drove to Barkerville, which is one of the original mining towns of this area. It is done in historical period, with the townspeople in costume in their shops as well as walking down the street. It was very fun to spend the day there. It’s also quite high in elevation, and they have snow piled so high, but today was absolutely gorgeous, and the snow was melting steadily…and running down main street! But like this area, it’s sandy, so the street was dryer when we left than it was when we came! I'll tell you more about that later.

But our BIG news is that we saw several bears in different locations. The first time we saw a sow and cub we were just a few miles south of Prince George. When we were outside of Barkerville we saw a mother and two cubs, and then a few miles away was a single Black bear. Except for the first sighting, they were all fairly close to the road. When we left Barkerville we saw a grizzly!

People at the camp weren't even surprised that we saw bear, but they were
I don't think she's checking on us...I don't think she's checking on us...I don't think she's checking on us...

but rather looking to see what her mom and sibling are doing. We figured they must be last year's cubs.
mildly impressed that we saw a grizzly! They don't often come that close to the road. On that same note, they asked if we've seen any moose yet, and when we said no, they said they would be surprised if we spend a month here and don't see at least one.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The GrizzlyThe Grizzly
The Grizzly

We were on one side of the highway, and he was eating grass on the other side!
Isn't he big?Isn't he big?
Isn't he big?

We waited, hoping to get a picture of him standing, but it didn't happen. But he was big!
He raised his head to look at us,He raised his head to look at us,
He raised his head to look at us,

but I missed that shot. There were two guys on motorcycles that were headed the opposite direction, and they stopped and waited for us to drive on rather than ride between us and the bear!
One miner and one mine owner, One miner and one mine owner,
One miner and one mine owner,

who were trying to get us to invest in their gold mine! They said it was no-lose proposition!! They look trustworthy...
Spring run-off.Spring run-off.
Spring run-off.

Needless to say, there was no gold mining being done in this creek!
I was holding the gold to compareI was holding the gold to compare
I was holding the gold to compare

it to a pebble of the same size...I'd rather have the gold!
I got to hold them, but didn't get to keep them!I got to hold them, but didn't get to keep them!
I got to hold them, but didn't get to keep them!

They were found in a nearby mine.
She's lecturing a male Barkerville citizenShe's lecturing a male Barkerville citizen
She's lecturing a male Barkerville citizen

who doesn't think she should be entitled to vote.


18th May 2008

Sooo Cool!
What great pictures. Why didn't you give them something to eat??? And I wouldn't have driven my motorcycycle through either!!
18th May 2008

What fun!
You write as you talk, Vicki, and it is simply delightful! Your pictures are great! We missed the rainbow the other night--your picture was beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Annie

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb