Day 3 - Arriving in Apex


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Penticton
November 29th 2009
Published: December 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ok so for the second morning I have woken up in the same bed as one of the guys! Talk about living the glamorous life of a ski instructor! We then went and got a classic Canadian breakfast at Timmy Ho's and had a wander round Penticton where we found a few nightclubs and some very debatable shops and houses. We eventually came across a grocery store where we were "welcomed" by a native Indian fella who attempted to unscramble Jack's broken english (for those of you who dont know, he's a Kiwi) and replied in a way that can only be described as gobbledegook! We caught one word which sounded a bit like Sabeway and with his gesturing we set off in the right direction towards the nicer end of town past 5 churches and 3 schools which didn't help us understand much about the town!

Two hours later and we are back in the hostel reluctantly calling another taxi to take us up to the hill! Fortunately the road had been gritted as there was still some slush going around and we managed to arrive at Apex with the taxi costing us a grand total of 90$ (theft after we discovered Ted had been picking people up from town!) We are then taken up to the staff accomodation which we later discover is a brisk 30 minute walk away. First impressions from the outside were that of concern as it looked a bit run down but the biggest suprise was when we entered the room, jaws dropped at the state of the inside, poorly furnished, poor lighting, no bedding and absolutely freezing! Jack and Dan leave me in the room as they headed back down to the village to collect everything and I meet a few guys who are working in the bar who seem pretty cool! 30 minutes later and the guys return and we exchange a few curses on the state we are in! Unfortunately with the amount of baggage we have and the long journey back to the village we are stuck there for the night so we all snuggle up under the duvets and stick a few films on! I'm sleeping on the couch for the night fully clothed! Good times so far! Hopefully with training tomorrow a few questions will be answered and we can sort our accomodation out!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb