Long overdue


Advertisement
Published: February 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

For any of you wondering, Evan and the girls had an amazing whale watching tour. The people they went with enjoyed watching Evan more then the whales. We happened to meet them all at the market the next day and they couldn’t say enough about him and the trip. I guess the whole boat had the expression, mimicked after Evan “It’s OK, its only a whale”. Can’t you just hear it over and over and over and over again.

We had a wonderful trip home to New Westminster for Christmas but man, did it snow. Clay and Hiroko picked us up at the airport on Dec 16th, the grass was green but there was just a nice little bit of snow flying around in the air. Well, that was the end of the green. Never saw the grass again our whole 3 weeks we were home. Larry shovelled sometimes 5 times aday. At one point he said "thats it, there is no point, it just keeps coming back". Kind of like that commercial on TV, with the guy shovelling and then he just starts to cry uncontrollably and flops onto the snow. Thats how he felt.

We did our usual Christmas time events. Christmas is such tradition. Our families and extended families arrive Christmas Eve for a dinner of lasagne, chicken wings and Schwartties hashbrowns (anyone want the recipe!!) and dessert. This year there were 7 kids. 2 between 7 and 10 and the other 5 under 4. It is bedlam but each year gets easier. The kids are growing up and actually playing. Slamming doors etc but moms and dads there to deal with fingers!! Santa came to some of the kids delight. The children that would, had a chance to tell Santa what they wanted for Christmas and the ones that wouldn't, Santa sat on the floor and tried to appear unthreatening. It was a struggle though!! I think most believe but it would be easy to yell out, "It's Merle". Merle disappears, puts on the suit and arrives by the front door. How much mystery is there but in the eyes of believers it is great!!.
Next come the game. Most of us thought we had grown out of the game but tradition reigns again. Clay and Tori huddled in the kitchen developing a homemade game of scattagories and it was lots of fun. Short and sweet, then dessert and it was time to go home and hang stockings etc. Evan spent the few days over Christmas with us and it couldn't have been nicer.

Dec 20th was his birthday. It is his social event of the year. It was snowing nastily but 24 people arrived and he was in his glory. He enjoys the event so much. It has become another one of these family traditions. Burger Heaven, Dec 20th be there or be square. No invites basically just show up.

Christmas day Mark and Carli arrived in the morning as we opened gifts. This is the first year we drew names in our immediate family and then we just had to buy for 1 person. It was great for the shopping and spending but Christmas morning gift opening was done in 10 minutes. We conducted an immediate family meeting and it was unanimously decided that the thrifty christmas was the pits. I did point out that last year we spent $1200 on gifts and this year we spent $400 but no go. I got no support so we are back to the splendiferous event.

We went to Surrey to Ross and Bonnie's house for dinner. The weather eased for the big day but the next day it was back in full force. Our Boxing Day tradition of leftovers at Vivien's went by the boards. She lives up at Westwood Plateau and has hills and more snow then at the bottom of the hill. We had an impromtu neighbourhood gathering at our house and it was great to see everyone since we have been away since Oct 13th. Everyone brought snacks and had a great time.

I worked 2 weeks of the 3 weeks we were home. It is a fun time to work. Everyone is in a good mood and the customers have mostly shut down except the pubs of course.

Ed and Anita came for a quiet New Years Eve dinner. Larry made Beef Wellington but we are getting old. They were gone by 11PM and we were in bed by 11:05. Out like a light!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0898s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb