Road trip to Alaska


Advertisement
Published: February 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

My dad and I started out at 4:00 am from Champaign, IL in my 1994 toyota corolla with my two dogs, two tents, almost enough food and sodas for a month and lots of camping gear and by noon the 3rd day we were having lunch in Glacier National Park. On the way to Alaska we took the long way to see the sites. The first day we went through Madrid, Iowa were my parents first lived after they were married, the Corn Palace in South Dakota and spent a windy night in the Bad Lands. The second day we went through Mt. Rushmore (something to skip in the future) and then drove through Wyoming and Montana. The third night was in a huge empty camp ground in the Canadian Rockies, where we almost froze and I worried about the several bears we saw on the way in. That was the last night we were very cold and the last time we needed flashlights as from that point on it never got completely dark or very cold, unfortunately we had about 1/6 of the trunk space filled with various lamps and flashlights. Our long way trip to Alaska was still very fast in most people's opinion as we took only five and half days to get there, but we wanted to take the majority of our 3.5 weeks in Alaska and not on the road. We did see more wild life on the Alaskan highway than in the state, narrowly missed two moose on the road and only had a section of the road filled with the dreaded mosquitoes and flies.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb