Camping and hiking in Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Seward
June 22nd 2005
Published: February 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

the amazing hikethe amazing hikethe amazing hike

This was from our 16 mile hike on the primrose trail outside of Seward. We hiked a several miles on a ridge with 360 degrees of Alaskan beauty.
We had two wonderful weeks camping and exploring Alaska. We spent several days in the Seward area, where the sun always shined and the 24 hours of daylight made it possible to take on 16 mile hikes without fear of getting back before dark. We had no encounters with bears, which made me happy as I didn't know if my dog Ceali would try to take them on and only end up making them mad and leading them to us. We got to see Mt. Denali from the Denali State Park (dogs are not allowed in the national park) and grizzly bear cubs from the bus within the national park. My dad and I had 24 nights of making camp every night and sleeping on the ground, cooking our meals over my camp stove, lots of peanut butter and jelly, hiking, over 120 hours of driving and all of this was two weeks before my dad turned 70. Our only regret was not making to the inside passage of Alaska, another trip for the future.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

the amazing hikethe amazing hike
the amazing hike

wild flowers in the stream
effects of global warmingeffects of global warming
effects of global warming

As you drive to the current mouth of the exit glacier you drive past miles of posts showing the dates of the past location and you can see how much it has shrank over the past couple of decades.
very tired dogsvery tired dogs
very tired dogs

The dogs went on all of our hikes (where they were allowed) and they were quick to relax when returning to the campsite.
Mt. DenaliMt. Denali
Mt. Denali

View from the Denali State Park, we wouldn't have gotten this lunch time view if the prohibition of dogs in the national park hadn't forced us to the state park. The national park view was clouded over the full three days we were there.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb